Wrong kind of ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wrong kind of ESA?

Jockeylad41
Jockeylad41 Community member Posts: 3 Connected
Hi, I am 45 years old and have CP since birth. I have worked a lot in the past, but when my condition got the better of me I gave up work and was put on ESA. Now whenever I try to get any financial help with anything I get told I don't qualify because I don't get the right kind of ESA. I recently needed a new boiler and had to get in to debt for ten years to pay for it because I didn't qualify for a home heating grant. I am also needing more and more prescribed medication which I have to pay for, and finding it more and more difficult to finance. Is anyone else in this situation and is there anything else I can apply for? Don't get me wrong I am grateful I live in a society that can look after me but I feel I am now being penalized for having worked in the past. 

Comments

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Are you entitled to either the enhanced disability or severe disability premium?

Also, if you need more than 13 items of medication, you can get a pre payment card. You may also be exempt if your only income is ESA by filling in an HC1 form.
  • SethLaa
    SethLaa Community member Posts: 111 Courageous
    @Jockeylad41,  Am not exactly sure how it works but I was and still am entitled to a Medical Exemption Certificate (prescriptions) even when  I was fully employed. There's no harm in asking, good luck from SethLaa
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Im assuming you get contribution related ESA @Jockeylad41 ?

It says here:
    If you qualify for contribution based ESA, you might qualify for free prescriptions, depending on what your total household income is or what conditions you need medication for.

In order to get free prescriptions because of low income, you need to complete form HC1. You can get the HC1 form from some healthcare settings or jobcentres, or by phoning 0845 610 1112. 
    If you qualify for full prescription costs, you will receive a HC2 certificate.
    If you qualify for some help towards prescription costs, you will receive a HC3 certificate.

There is lots of other information here about help with prescription costs.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Sam_Alumni
    @SethLaa  Here is the information about Medical Exemption Certificates.

People with certain medical conditions can get free NHS prescriptions if:
    • they have one of the conditions listed below, and
    • they hold a valid medical exemption certificate.
    Medical exemption certificates are issued on application to people who have:
    • a permanent fistula (for example caecostomy, colostomy, laryngostomy or ileostomy) requiring continuous surgical dressing or requiring an appliance
    • a form of hypoadrenalism (for example Addison's disease) for which specific substitution therapy is essential
    • diabetes insipidus or other forms of hypopituitarism
    • diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone
    • hypoparathyroidism
    • myasthenia gravis
    • myxoedema (that is, hypothyroidism requiring thyroid hormone replacement)
    • epilepsy requiring continuous anticonvulsive therapy
    • a continuing physical disability which means the person cannot go out without the help of another person. Temporary disabilities do not count even if they last for several months
    Or are undergoing treatment for cancer:
    • including the effects of cancer, or
    • the effects of current or previous cancer treatment
    How to apply for a medical exemption certificate
    To apply for a medical exemption certificate ask your doctor for an FP92A form. Your GP, hospital or service doctor will sign the form to confirm that your statement is correct. At your GP's discretion, a member of the practice who has access to your medical records can also sign the form.

Scope
  • SethLaa
    Thanks for that Sam, I get free Prescriptions due to MS x
  • Sam_Alumni
    I get them due to a permanent ostomy! 
    Scope
  • SethLaa
    A what? Hun, me will have to find out what that is. I hope it aint serious for you x
  • SethLaa
    Hi again Sam I Have just googled it, keep yer chin up and don't bin that lovely smile x
  • Sam_Alumni
    I have a permanent ostomy bag which means I do not have a large intestine and so my small intestine comes out of my belly and I have an ileostomy bag, it's like a colostomy bag but it comes from a different part of the bowel. 

I write about it on my blog So Bad Ass if you'd like to read more.  :)
    Scope
  • SethLaa
    Thanks Hun I will have a read
  • SethLaa
    Eyup me old flower, I dint realise that tha cum frum Barnsley, I is now livin in Berkshire but originally from close to Pontefract. My nickname in this unwonderful part of the world is actually 'Barnsley'. SethLaa comes from my Army mates who said I sounded like Seth Armstrong from Emmerdale, quite surprising as I was in a Yorkshire Regiment with a large amount of the guys coming from the Barnsley/Doncaster area. OK I have bored yous enough, good luck to you and your family X
  • Sam_Alumni
    I am from Sheffield actually but I married a Barnsley bloke! 
    Scope
  • SethLaa
    Lucky bloke ha-ha
  • SethLaa
    Even more of a convenience as my surname is Tinsley (after the area not the viaduct lol)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.