No luck finding work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

No luck finding work

maisy56andEva
maisy56andEva Community member Posts: 20 Listener
edited October 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
hello I have many LDs and have been searching for work and applying for ages as I really want a paid job however due to my LDs I lack confidence and am very shy employers don't understand this so they don't give me a chance which upsets me any ideas?

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @maisy56andEva Im sorry to hear you are struggling with this.  Are you getting any support? Have you spoken to Remploy? They have lots of support for disabled people getting into work.

They can help to build your confidence and understand your rights, they even do things like mock interviews with staff to get you used to interview situations.

Its worth having a look through the website as there is lots of great information there.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • maisy56andEva
    I have already been seen by Remploy and have now had all the supoort they could offer me and thought they would get me a job but haven't? I am seeing a disability employment advisor at job centre and don't know what else to do to help me get the paid job I really want?
  • Sam_Alumni
    It sounds like you are doing all the right things then @maisy56andEva
    which is really positive.  Are you applying for lots of jobs? Are you getting many interviews?

You say you lack confidence and are shy, what do you think you could do to work on that? Do you think it is a lack of confidence in speaking in an interview? Perhaps you could work on role play with a friend or family member to improve on how you come across?

It is a tough time for people trying to get into work, you certainly aren't alone.  Do you have much past experience of paid or voluntary work?
    Scope
  • maisy56andEva

Sam_Scope said:

It sounds like you are doing all the right things then @maisy56andEva
    which is really positive.  Are you applying for lots of jobs? Are you getting many interviews?

You say you lack confidence and are shy, what do you think you could do to work on that? Do you think it is a lack of confidence in speaking in an interview? Perhaps you could work on role play with a friend or family member to improve on how you come across?

It is a tough time for people trying to get into work, you certainly aren't alone.  Do you have much past experience of paid or voluntary work?

I am applying to lots of jobs and getting some interviews but haven't had a interview in awhile. No I do quite well  in interviews my feedback has been I do well in interviews  I have done role play with family members before.  I have.  Been doing lots of voluntary work and work experience but I am just getting really fed up and down as no one giving me a chance 
  • Sam_Alumni
    That is really tough, best of luck for the future!
    Scope
  • maisy56andEva

Sam_Scope said:

• maisy56andEva

Sam_Scope said:

It is hard  have applied again today no luck withen hours unsunssful wish someone would give me a chance 

Brightness