My child, — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My child,

maisy56andEva
maisy56andEva Community member Posts: 20 Listener
edited October 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
my child has not been diagnosed with any form of disability or LD. But has come back from school today and I asked her how her day was and she would not speak to me. I then  got. A phone call from her teacher saying she hasn't spoken Al day and was crying in class they don't know why and I can't find out why and they have suggested I keep her off school all next week any ideas? 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • maisy56andEva

Hi @maisy56andEva

one idea is try not to jump to conclusions and take for granted they're right. This issue can be due to a disability but it can also just be a mental health issue.

Before you can do anything I think you need to gather more information first. First backtrack everything up to the point the issue began then see if there was any changes to her life which may be a possible cause. The cause of an issue is sometimes part of the solution.

Keep recording your girl's life and see if there is any common factors at the times she cries and becomes afraid to talk. Common factors may be triggers to your girl's problems. If she does have an undiagnosed disability as you suspect the triggers may not be understandable.

I have autism and the triggers are not easy to spot. People with Autism Spectrum Disorders can get depressed, anxious, frightened etc. over something that not one NeuroTypical person would be unless it's a phobia. For example, when moving from one destination to another an autistic person may get terrified if an alternative route is taken, people without autism don't get terrified of taking alternative routes.

Let us know once you've found out more information and someone on here may of experienced the same problem and be able to help. Good Luck.

Well I got her to draw her picture of her school day today and she wrote down I  think I have auxiety  and her teacher rang back to say getting her in with school nurse next week as not a good idea for her to miss classes really hope this is more information for you 
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    is she being bullied?
  • [Deleted User]
  • maisy56andEva

is she being bullied?

• maisy56andEva

is she being bullied?

No 

• maisy56andEva
    I have asked her if she is bullied and she said nope I feel it's not just  at school she won't speak to me at home so you say keep her off school all next week? School said they  would keep w closer eye on her at lunch and in clad  too
  • [Deleted User]
  • maisy56andEva

That's a start. If you're convinced she's disabled or has special needs tell the teachers to observe everything about your girl, not just the common issues which anyone may encounter. As an example the teachers should observe how she does her work, she might need help but doesn't know how to ask for it.

Yep they have said will keep a closer eye on her at class and lunch as she cries and they feel this is because she can't do the work but won't ask for help and I do too.

Brightness