Very tactile defensive and periods — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Very tactile defensive and periods

sue31
sue31 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My daughter is 12 just started her periods and very tactile defensive she doesn't want to touch her towel/ pads to sort herself out. It's her 1 st period as well any advice please 

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    edited May 2017
    Hi Sue,

Welcome to the community.

There are a few tips here that might help.

@PSHEexpert - do you have any tips for Sue?

• PSHEexpert
    PSHEexpert Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    Hello!

That's difficult - Is this her first experience of touching and handling the pads themselves, too?  If so it might be worth having a practice with them a few times between now and the next period so she can get used to them in a non-pressurised way beforehand.

I realise that doesn't help much at the moment though whilst you're in the middle of it all.  Have there been similar situations with other things that she has initially refused to touch but has been able to work towards it?  If so, what helped to support that?
    - Gill 
  • PSHEexpert
    PSHEexpert Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    Ps it might also be worth - trying different makes of pads as some definitely do feel different and that might support her.  Just a thought as I know I bought some that I thought were my regular ones the other week and I had bought a slightly different variation - completely different sensory experience, both using and to the touch (i.e., with my hands).
    - Gill 

Brightness