Guilt — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Guilt

Options
Janeybach
Janeybach Community member Posts: 3 Listener
hi, my fellow CP warriors. I'm in my 60's born with CP. as a child wore a calliper and  "special shoes" which I hated. I've managed quite well, but always felt very guilty as I didn't class myself as that bad. Always had a wonky gait and funny hand, which I've hid all my life. I've been very grateful for the life God gave  me, but as I said always felt guilty. Chronic pain is awful as I've a few other issues as well. But be encouraged we don't get called as many names now as it was in my youth. That's why I tried to hide. Love to you all ❤️️

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Janeybach I think guilt is such a common feeling when you are a  disabled person or someone with an impairment.

I just wonder why you think you feel guilty? 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Sam_Scope I cannot answer for @Janeybach but I can answer for myself.

I grew up with disability around me, as I attended a special needs school from late 60's to late 70's and I have always felt comfortable around disabled people. However when I started looking for help to understand my daughter's autism I was constantly aware how lucky we were as she had many of the strengths and the weaknesses seemed possible to overcome. I found it hard to ask for help when looking at the difficulties other parents were facing.

I shied off from applying for DLA for her but in the end was persuaded to apply for her. I felt guilty about it as much of the support she needed seemed to me part and parcel of being a parent. I was completely honest and, shocked when she got low for care and middle for mobility. It made a huge difference for her, and us, however we also knew parents who had more to cope with who would not get it.

Similarly living with long term sciatica I always feel guilty about talking about my own struggles. Especially somewhere like here where there are so many people struggling, not only with their disabilities but financially as well.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness