Conservative Manifesto on Social Care — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Conservative Manifesto on Social Care

anaqi
anaqi Community member Posts: 52 Courageous
I was very concerned today when I read about the Conservative Party manifesto on social care and I was wondering what that meant for me as a forty something homeowner with a care package.

I live with my husband and three children, we own our home (mortgaged) and I have a social care package (direct payments).  I do not have to pay for my care because I do not have any savings but the new Conservative manifesto it said they were going to take the value of people's property into consideration when paying for social care.  

I'm really worried about this.  If the Tories win the election will they make us sell our home?  Or release equity in it to pay for my care?  I read that you could defer payment until after you die but I'm only 42 years old and I'm not planning on dying any time soon!  It could be 30 years or more until I die so they'd be waiting a long time for their money.

Will this policy only apply to pensioners?  I can't see how they would be able to make it work for younger people with care needs.

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    How would the Tories' social care proposals work for a home owner who had taken equity release and then needed home social care?
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Under Charity Commission guidance Scope must remain neutral and not influence voters in the run up to the election.

Here's a link to the relevant part of the manifesto about ageing and care.

Social care is a key area for Scope's work and will be encouraging any future Government to make sure disabled people are financially secure and able live the life they choose.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • anaqi
    anaqi Community member Posts: 52 Courageous
    Thanks for the link.  My issue is that I'm not elderly, I'm 42. Do the Conservative party have a social care charging policy for people who are not elderly?
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    It's hard being a chess peice in this election game. 

I would suggest (aware that it is easier said than done) to wait until after the election then get good advice. Take comfort in that there are charities and many people who are opposing dating policies and they are getting somewhere. Take comfort that there are many of us and together we can protect each other. 

In terms of conservatives the idea was to protect people while living how ever young they are. I am not defending Conservatism... But the idea was to raise the amount people can keep but honestly, all could change so personally I am putting it in a box and putting at the back of my mind till after election. 
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    @anaqi this is aimed particularly at pensioners, but aspects of it will filter down. At the moment I do not think it is something for you to be concerned about, pensioners generally own their homes, While you may own your home the bank has a significant stake in it and so you would not be able to recognise the full value.

For example the protection of £100,00 of saving and assets.

There is another part of this manifesto that is worrying, and could have a huge affect on younger disabled people. It is linking the right place to be with the cost of someone's care versus the cost of putting them into a care home. I have now heard of at least four councils who have considered this type of action and each time I believe it has been vigorously opposed. I can see the advantage for councils who have had their budgets squeezed to near breaking point, but beyond any doubt it is a back door step to once again institutionalising disabled people with complex needs and/or high care costs.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness