PIP and pension — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and pension

bangles22
bangles22 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited May 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I'm on pip was awarded higher rate for both 
I was awarded it for 6 years 
iwill be pension age at 66 this is about same time as my pip should be ending 
are they ending it as I'm going to get state pension ? 
would I need to reapply for pip or will it carry on , I'm so confused about this 
thanks in advance 

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @bangles22

I suggest that you re-post in Ask a benefits advisor category.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello. The important things to remember here are that a) PIP continues past 65  if you were claiming it before that age and you continue to meet the conditions and b) PIP can be paid as well as state pension, and PIP and state pension do not affect each other in any way. Be prepared to defend your PIP entitlement when your award is up for reassessment, and get some help from a local advice agency if you can. You also need to make sure that you are getting the right amount of other benefits - often, getting high rates of PIP can lead to an increase in your entitlement to other benefits, including pension credit (if you are over about 64) housing benefit and help with your council tax. Check this out on the benefits calculator available on this Scope website and make sure you are getting all your entitlements!
    Hope this helps.
    Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.