PIP medical assessment advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP medical assessment advice

Options
frogy
frogy Community member Posts: 21 Connected
edited May 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I wonder if anyone can help me I have a pip assessment on 26th may 17 I have permanent foot drop after spine operation ,had a brain injury 7 years ago which gave me a stroke ,now I have bad anger and tempers with people and short term memory problems with long term depression and sarciodosis chronic the list goes on I currently receive low care DLA how would I get on at pip assessment thanks frogy.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @frogy you can complete a PIP self test here that allows you to score yourself for the daily living and mobility components of PIP just by clicking with your mouse.

It will do the maths for you, tell you what components you assess yourself as qualifying for and what rates you assess yourself as being eligible for.

The experience of medical assessments really seems to differ from person to person.  The important thing is for you to be honest, the CAB has some great advice about PIP assessments including:
    You should be prepared to talk about how your condition affects you even if you’ve already detailed it on your PIP claim form. It can be hard to do this but it will really help if you can talk about:
    • the kind of things you have difficulty with, or can’t do at all - for example, walking up steps without help or remembering to go to appointments
    • how your condition affects you from day to day
    • what a bad day is like for you - for example, ‘On a bad day, I can’t walk at all because my injured leg hurts so much’ or ‘On a bad day, I’m so depressed I can’t concentrate on anything’
    It’s a good idea to take a copy of your PIP claim form with you. That way you can refer to it in the assessment and make sure you tell the assessor everything you want them to know about your condition.

There is also a PIP assessment helpsheet you can download here.  They say:

Don’t let the assessor rush you and try not to just answer ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to their questions. Always try to explain how doing something would make you feel afterwards and the impact it can have on you if you had to do it repeatedly in a short period of time. Print it out and take it with you. It includes tips on what to take to your assessment and dos and don’ts during the assessment.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Options
    They will try to trip you up. They will ask you the same question later on in a different way. They observe everything you do. They make some utterly bizarre assumptions too.

Take someone with you if you can.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There is a Scope thread about preparing for a PIP assessment.  Details below:

How to Prepare for a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) Assessment
  • frogy
    frogy Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Options
    Hi every body thank you all very much for your advice very tierd after pip today bed now be back to you soon frogy.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.