Talking about your impairment or condition at work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Talking about your impairment or condition at work

MelWilkes
MelWilkes Community member Posts: 18 Connected

At Scope, we're carrying out research in to experiences at work.

To do this, we are interviewing people about sharing information about their impairment or condition with their employer and colleagues.

We would be interested to hear from people who haven’t discussed their impairment or condition with their employer as well as people who have.

We are recruiting people who:

·         Are aged 16-64.

·         Are currently in work

·         Live in England or Wales

Interviews will be held in July and August 2017 and at a location that best suits each interviewee.

Interviewees will receive a £10 gift voucher for their time.

If you or anyone you know would be interested in taking part or want more information, please contact Scope’s Researcher Melanie Wilkes on 0207 619 7278 or at melanie.wilkes@scope.org.uk

Comments

• dogfather
    dogfather Community member Posts: 61 Connected
    If they want to speak to me, I am happy to be interviewed however I have already given up work, due to my disability. It was an interesting journey from working to retirement on health grounds.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    @Bellasaurus would you be interested in this?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • MelWilkes
    Hi @dogfather

Thanks for your interest in the project.

Perhaps we could have a call or email to talk it through further? If you could drop me a line 0207 619 7278 or at melanie.wilkes@scope.org.uk to 
    let me know how and when best to reach you I could get back in touch. 

Thanks

Melanie
  • basiclee08
    basiclee08 Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    If they want to talk to me or add us to research  that's fine with me too.
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    I'd be glad to discuss my experiences. I have a few tales to tell and court cases to show for it. :s

I'm not available during office hours though. Also any venue needs to be reasonably near and accessible of course.
  • rfk1974
    rfk1974 Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Hi Melanie, 
    I've recently had to give up working because of my disability and problems with staff attitudes and bullying. I hoped that I could continue in my role but took ill health retirement as I felt like I was forced out. I was a Staff Nurse for a NHS Trust.
  • MelWilkes
    Hi @Markmywords Thanks for your interest in taking part. On your point around the location and timing of interviews, that should be fine. We would look to arrange the interview at a time that works well for each participant. I can travel to meet with people at a location that they choose, or if they prefer, we'll carry out the interview by telephone or by Skype. If that sounds ok, could you drop me an email at melanie.wilkes@scope.org.uk or call me on 02076197278 so that we can talk through the next steps? Thanks, Melanie
  • MelWilkes
    Hi @basiclee08 Would you be able to drop me an email at melanie.wilkes@scope.org.uk or call me on 02076197278 so that we can talk through the next steps? Thanks for coming back to me on this, Melanie
  • MelWilkes
    Hi @rfk1974 I'm sorry to hear that, it sounds like you've had a really difficult time. Could you email me at melanie.wilkes@scope.org.uk or call me on 02076197278 so that we can talk through whether this research opportunity would be right for you? Thanks Melanie
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kjmillard
    kjmillard Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited June 2017
    Hi
    I work full time and have diagnosed bipolar. My work is aware of my condition and have had evidence from my doctor. Am happy to discuss my experience, live in Chichester, West Sussex 
    kind regards
    kirsti millard
  • ajnjd
    ajnjd Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited July 2017
    Hi, 

I work full time and have dyslexia. For most of my, short career, I left my difficulty undisclosed. However, in my most recent post I decided I needed to disclose it to my employer and I am very happy that I did.

I would be happy to offer any help I can to your research and will do so without the incentive.

Thanks,
    Anthony 
  • FluffyJoJo
    FluffyJoJo Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    edited July 2017
    Hi, I'm new to this forum and am having an issue at the moment. I've posted details of this in my introduction to the group today. I'm willing to discuss this further but am not sure I'd be able to attend an interview.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.