Motability, Blue Badges and disabled motoring
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Concerned about the Coronavirus?

We've put together some helpful information and advice about Covid-19 on our website.

You can also read about: improving your wellbeing, getting food and essentials and claiming benefits during this time.

blue badge charge

hi i just renewed my blue badge and i have been chared £20 for it never been charged before found out that thay now charge for it different price in england they charge a mazamum of £10 in scotland its £20 and in wales there is no charge hpw can this be right

Replies

• Blue FrogBlue Frog Member Posts: 373 Pioneering
    Yes they do charge now.  I don't know when it started as my little girl only got her first one in 2015 and I paid then.  

To be fair, it probably costs quite a bit to employ someone at the council to sort the applications out, and to produce the badge with all its security features.  The badges last for 3 years so it's pretty good value considering how much we save on parking  :)

A lot of council car parks in Wales charge for parking for blue badge holders (particularly Denbighshire) but you get the badge for free if you live there.  I think I prefer spending a few quid on getting the badge personally. 
  • MatildaMatilda Member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Councils in England have been charging for Blue Badges for years.  Once it was £3, then £10 - now £20, it seems.
  • GeoarkGeoark Community champion Posts: 1,248 Disability Gamechanger
    @steve_noble1 under devolved powers the four regions, NI, Wales, Scotland and England will have very different rules on different things. When looking up information on a wide range of issues you often see 'different rules apply in Scotland'.

Where I have gone on to look at the differences in Scotland they are generally more favourable than in England and Wales. I am sure there must be other examples but this is the first time I have seen where the Scottish people lose out so much.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• MarkmywordsMarkmywords Member Posts: 406 Pioneering
    Not only would there be administration costs for a council but can you imagine how many people would "try it on?"
  • steve_noble1steve_noble1 Member Posts: 4 Connected
    i not complaining just didnt know they charged now
Sign in or join us to comment.