Can't get blue badge? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can't get blue badge?

coxydead20
coxydead20 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
My problem is I get attendance allowance,because it doesn't show mobility allowance on the form ,I can't get a blue badge ,the reason they gave me I didn't grimace 

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you been told by your local authority that you are not eligible for a blue badge?
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @coxydead20,

We'd love to help you with this, but we'd need a bit more information!
  • coxydead20
    coxydead20 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I have severe arthritis fibromyalgia no many more things the first time I applied for a badge they told me no .because I wasn't out of breath .telling them I don't have lung desease didn't help .appelled and that time they told me i couldn't get one ,because I didn't grimace .i can hardly walk have a stick .and a walking aid for around the house 
  • wightman
    wightman Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi coxydead20, i applied three years ago, rejected, re applied and failed, the reason being "you can walk", I replied, yes it's laboured because i have problems breathing (COPD and Asthma), I repeatedly told the two "medical staff" that the fumes from traffic aggravated my l ungs, and their reply, "yes, but you can walk"------ I walked out unaided by them but suffering breathing problems.I now intend to re apply bevcaue three years on my health has worsened.
  • SeanRyan
    SeanRyan Community member Posts: 66 Connected
    edited June 2017
      I have just applied for mine, but it took two of us three days to get onto the council website. After going through all the questions we got to acceptable forms of ID. Medical passport card with current address? turns out it was a spelling mistake should read passport or medical card with current address. Now forgive me but neither has a current address on it. As we are all tapping away on here I assume we all know how to use a computer. With a lot of services now going online I have been quite shocked at what we as disabled people have to face on a daily basis. Confusing,over complicated and not designed for people with no IT skills. I only found out I could get a disabled freedom pass by accident no one told me. I have been paying for all my trips to hospital and doctors for the past four years. I have MS and am in constant pain, Disability is bad enough but having to deal with all the **** piled on top is not fair to any of us. I hope you get your blue badge. Never give up thats what I am learning. You are entitled to it so why make it so difficult ?

• Matilda
    edited August 2017
    I'd recommend anyone applying for Blue Badge to forget the online nightmare and attend in person.  Your council can't object as, of course, not everyone is online anyway.

I was automatically entitled to a Blue Badge last time round as I was on higher rate mobility DLA, but the online application process - as you've outlined @SeanRyan - was so Kafkaesque that I resorted to going to the council offices in person with all the necessary documents where the Blue Badge process was straightforward.  I now get PIP enhanced mobility and my Blue Badge is due for renewal in September so I'll be applying in person this time round, too.

I'd recommend anyone applying for Blue Badge to forget the online nightmare and attend in person.  Your council can't object as, of course, not everyone is online anyway.
  • SeanRyan
    Oh @Matilda I live in Lewisham, due to cuts the council office will allow you to enter. when you say to them what you want you are given a slip of paper and told to dial the extension number they have just given you on a phone on the wall down  the corridor. after five minutes of pressing buttons the answer machine tells you the blue badge office is only open on Mondays and Tuesdays and is for enquiries only. You are then told that everything is online, your document must be sent to a PO box.  Thats just my local council yours might be different but thats how it works round here. They are still using windows XP and if you use google chrome they cannot find your postcode, internet explorer no problem. The wording used on the council website after you have filled in four pages of ridiculous questions states and I quote " suitable forms of identification medical passport card with current address". What the hell is that? its a spelling mistake. It should read Passport or medical card. Both of which to my knowledge do not have your address on. So its not quite as simple where I live

• Matilda
    @SeanRyan

That sounds appalling! I suggest that you complain to your councillor or the council's CEO.   I don't know if there's a Local Government Ombudsman but maybe there is one, if your council fob you off.   Also, might be worth writing to your local newspaper.

It was nearly three years ago I last got a Blue Badge so my local council might no longer allow applications in person!  If I have trouble renewing my Blue Badge in September, I'll certainly be taking my complaint as far as I can.

• SeanRyan
    Tried both, Local newspapers happy to put pictures of my cat not interested in council stuff and the CEO is only available through the website online.
  • Matilda
    edited June 2017
    That's awful about the CEO and local newspaper, @SeanRyan  But at least you did get a Blue Badge.  As you say, never give up - it usually works out well in the end.

Lovely cat - has he slimmed down now? :)
  • SeanRyan
    Hi @Matilda No he went the other way. Fatter  than a fat thing now. Derek his personal trainer is more interested in chasing a remote control rat :)
  • Matilda
  • harveysh
    harveysh Community member Posts: 3 Listener

I just got my Blue Badge a few days ago. As I live in North Wales I simply contacted my local council by phone and they sent me the required forms to make my application by post. Given the number of questions they ask and the number of forms they require certified copies of I find it hard to believe you can apply online! Doing it that way must be a nightmare and take hours?

If you have a choice do it by post and take your time especially answering all of the questions. Above all be honest and provide lots of information along with supporting letters from your doctor,hospital consultants and physiotherapist.

It certainly worked for me. good luck with your application!

• Matilda
    @harveysh

You're lucky you can do it by post.  In London it's only possible online.  The problem I have is that the system says that two of my files are too large to upload, one being a standard passport photo, the other the A4-size PIP award letter!  

I don't know how to reduce the file sizes so my Blue Badge has expired.   I'll persevere with trying to reduce the file sizes when I feel I can cope with the hassle.
  • harveysh
    harveysh Community member Posts: 3 Listener

Hi Matilda, I am really sorry to hear about the problems you are having. It must be a real nightmare for you.

I suppose I am lucky being able to apply by post - I was not even aware you could apply online until I joined this forum. I just phoned my local council and they sent me the required forms to complete.

There is a lot of software that you can download for free that will allow you to reduce the size of your files. If you turn the files into PDF's this is another way you can reduce the size. However if the files must be JPEG and not PDF's you can use a really simple programme called CROPPER that is free to download and will reduce your file size.

Good luck with your application.

• Matilda
    Thank you, @harveysh.  I'll try your suggestions.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.