DLA to PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA to PIP

Blue Frog
Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
I help care for my brother who has ASD and epilepsy. We were absolutely dreading the change from DLA to PIP, and after filling in the huge form and going to an hour long interview - we got the news today that he has been awarded PIP. 

It's a huge relief as I have no idea how he could manage without it. Just wanted to share as we kept hearing all the scary stories of cuts but want to reassure people it's not all bad news everytime. 

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2017
    That is very good news.  Well done @ Blue Frog!  That's the kind of story we like to hear - very encouraging.  And thank you for sharing.
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
     Yes I agree that positive PIP and ESA stories are needed. The words freak me out! So pleased it's worked for you! 

I've benefitted from higher mobility leading to a power chair which has given me so much life back! So grateful! 
  • Boudica
    Boudica Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    so glad to hear about your successful PIP application. I`ve been on DLA since 2000 and have`t migrated yet.....

• dogfather
    dogfather Community member Posts: 61 Connected
    It's nice to hear good news stories congratulations on your award.
  • trampereve
    trampereve Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I have just gone from DLA to PIP, after filling in the booklet and going for an assessment, I still have the higher rate of mobility (12 points) which is the max but they only awarded me the lower rate of care (2points) after having the higher rate on DLA so I have lost about £120 a month. I am not appealing even though Most of the time I do need help with cooking etc. I was so worried about the assessment that I didnt ask what qualifications the person assessing me had to do the job, and I didnt even find out her name, she was very sympathetic though. I find all this very degrading.
  • Matilda
    Did you ask DWP for a copy of the assessor's report and for a mandatory reconsideration (MR)?
  • trampereve
    trampereve Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    No,  I didnt know you could do that,  Thankyou I will see if I can get a copy, and look into MR.
  • Gaina
    Gaina Community member Posts: 133 Pioneering
    I'm so pleased it was a good outcome for your brother. I have my PIP face-to-face on Thursday and I've become increasingly anxious about it as it's drawn closer so it's good to hear from people who've been successful making the switch. :)
  • gelder33
    gelder33 Community member Posts: 17 Courageous
    MY MESSAGE, DO NOT GIVE UP NO MATTER HOW HARD IT CAN GET!
    After I had to give up work through my disability getting a lot worse, I ended up in a very difficult position as conservative changes were just starting at the same time, My first esa put me in the wrong group, lost on bedroom tax, changes in disability help from council etc ect, we were living off 30 pound a week and in tears on many occasions, even sat at council offices, but no sympathy there, I was in a mess all round and in tremendous pain as well.
    Anyway after nearly five plus years in this situation, we moved in with my wife’s mother as she had a new build disabled flat, and needed a carer, so my wife became carer but no money just on paper, but this has saved us money due to sharing all expenses three ways, no bedroom tax, plus I was on dla for twenty years whilst I was working and had full mobility but my care side was always on lower rate.
    Then when it was time for my pip, I was worried all the five years thinking I was going to lose out again, after all the paperwork and worry, after an assessment at home I got the full PIP inc full higher mobility and higher carer side. Few!!! all this stress and worry suddenly went down and we have now a large mobility van with a lift for me and my wife’s mother to use, we got a very generous grant from mobility to get us out of our flat, we are having a week in a special disability flat on east coast and a bit of extra money to have a life of some sort, it’s not like when I could work, but I now feel like I can move forward with life after five years stuck inside our flat.  So my message is please do not give up at all keep fighting if you genuinely need the help keep pushing for your needs, ask all the care people around your area if they can help in anyway, ie wash dry toilet I have after going through embarrassment asking for help due to nerve damage plus other items required for a safer living environment!
    I can as many others can go on for ever telling my story. But as I said DO NOT GIVE UP, PLEASE.
    good luck all for your futures
  • Matilda
    Well done, @gelder33!  Yes, never give up.  Don't let the DWP get you down.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @gelder33   Great good to hear this. I myself know reading more positivity on the forum helps us all.

To inspire and to reach out and tackle this situation of the DWP and the associated problems that come before us.

Thank you from me and please every body we all need to stand together and support each other.

Be a hero or a heroine and start to say what we need our community. Just sit back and let them hurt and harm you. Or do you have the fight and willingness to get what you need.

I myself have been arguing fighting having to get what I need all of twenty years plus. Understanding what I need is to go into these assessments with some in trepidation and been nervous full of anxiety.

Once I get in my whole demeanour changes to saying to myself. That is a person a human being next to me. Assessing me. At the end of the day I have gone in. Have been honest and truthful. Have the audacity to say how I am feeling and why am I here.

Understand if I found out they have deceived me and been the attitude and manner they talk to me. Then they are in the wrong.  Should I feel guilty no.   For asking for support and help from a Government who does not give any compassion and treat us all with sensitivity and kindness. Offer a hand to support.

They are the issues they go home at night probably wont feel sorry for me but in the end have told my story. Got and strived and struggled to hit the mark and hopefully come out of any assessment the person I am.  A stronger more positive person. Knowing I did always the right thing.

Best wishes to you and your family wish you all the success.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • gelder33
    gelder33 Community member Posts: 17 Courageous
    Thankyou @thespiceman.
    the lucky break with pip was, as soon as the lady turned up and sat on the bed across from me I asked “do you understand anything in regards to severe spinal damage and nerve damage leaving me in the most awful pain and all this brings?” Her answer was “yes first I am a nurse and two years ago my husband lost his leg on a motor bike accident, he suffers from spine and painfull nerve damage as well” So at least I knew she would understand the issues surrounding my situation as I spoke to her, she was as they all are very nice and positive when she left, but from the past I did not fully trust her words untill my letter.  So I would like to thank the lady for her work with me.  But I still sink if I see a brown letter lol!
    good luck all

Brightness