Is it better to have a home assessment for PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it better to have a home assessment for PIP?

Options
rollingstones12
rollingstones12 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I've got a home assesment for pip soon is it better to have a home assesment does it increase your chances of claiming pip

Comments

• Boudica
    Boudica Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    I dont think it should affect your claim. Were you offered a home visit or did you have to fight for one? I have heard they aren`t easy to get. But some centres are a long way from where the applicant lives.
  • YorkshireLass
    YorkshireLass Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    I'm bedridden for long periods, so I was offered a home assessment. The man who did it was lovely. He ended up spending around two hours here, and saw me in my true state - in bed. I was awarded enhanced care and mobility last month, no needs for appeals or anything. He didn't ask me to do a lot of the mobility test, the most I had to do was squeeze his fingers as hard as I could (not very!) It was actually much less stressful than the one I had for DLA in a centre. Offer them a cup of tea, it doesn't happen to them very often apparently! Good luck
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Options
    It makes no difference. I was given a home visit and still lost the lot. 
  • ewaino
    ewaino Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    In my opinion home visit may help with the mobility component. I would also recommend it to people who suffer depression and anxiety. Please bear in mind that whatever you say or do, maybe use against you. I drove to the assessment centre myself  (my friend got ill and could not come with me ) and it was used against me. Please remember to have someone with you once the assessment is being carried out. If I had to be assess again, I would definitely  record it. Good luck. Hopefully you will get the outcome, you are hoping for.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you attend an assessment centre don't drive yourself. Go by taxi if you have to. Assessment companies will refund taxi fares.

Even tribunals think if you can drive you have no problems bathing and dressing.

I won my appeal but I had to insist over and over again that I only drive a few short journeys.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.