Lost ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lost ESA

Options
wing940
wing940 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Anyone been on ESA ! My payment stopped because my partner lost her claim for ESA because she was to clean and had clean clothes on lol yep can you believe it lol that was on the report ..so any how hers has been stopped now mine has to any idea ???

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @wing940 welcome to the community, there is some information here about challenging and ESA decision and I have moved your post to the Ask A Benefits Advisor category so you can get more info.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @wing940
    So sorry to hear what has happened.
    I am guessing that the main reason you may have lost your ESA as a result of your partners ESA claim being turned down is because you were claiming income related ESA together as a couple in a 'joint claim' and she was the main claimant. Is this the case?
    If it is, then can I suggest the following:
    1) phone ESA and say that you would like to challenge the decision to stop your partners ESA (your partner will probably need to do this if they are able - and you ideally need to do this within a month of the decision) By asking that the decision is looked at again your are requesting a Mandatory Reconsideration. This has to be done before you can appeal a decision - see the link above that Sam has posted for more info.
    2) when you are on the phone to ESA you need to ask for the claim to be transferred into your name so that you become the main claimant.
    Tel number is 0345 608 8545.
    You may also want to visit a local advice centre to check that this is the reason why your ESA has stopped as I am only guessing and there may be other scenarios that they could explore (for instance one of you becoming a carer for the other if appropriate rates of PIP are in payment).
    I don't know if you claim Housing Benefit or assistance with Council Tax, but please contact your local authority to check that they have not  been affected by your ESA payments stopping.
    Hope this helps.
    Let us know what happens or come back if we can help in any other way,

Laura

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.