TBI, Epilepsy and PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

TBI, Epilepsy and PIP

1zzyskint
1zzyskint Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi guys. 
My wife had a severe head injury in 2005. As a result of this she has uncontrolled epilepsy (about 10 seizures a month) cognitive/learning difficulties and speech and word finding difficulties to name but a few. I gave up my job in 2007 to become her Carer and she has since been on DLA middle care and low mobility. Of course the time came to switch to PIP and low and behold the decision maker turned us down at the 1st hurdle. The things the assessor wrote down was nothing short of complete rubbish. 
To say we are devastated is an understatement not to mention very worried. We intend to appeal.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated !
Ant. 

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @1zzyskint

Sorry to hear this but 65 percent of appeals are successful.

Have you requested a mandatory reconsideration?

You might want to seek advice in the Ask a benefits advisor category.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    @1zzyskint I see on another thread that you are appealing this decision. I suggest you also complain in writing to Capita and tell the DWP you have done this when you send in your Mandatory Reconsideration. It will help DWP to realize you are not happy with their Decision and that the assessor's report they used to make the decision not to award your wife PIP was not fit for purpose as it was not a true account of what was said and done at the assessment. You are not alone. So many of us have had similar reports, but it is possible to turn things around if you know how. As well as requesting a Mandatory Reconsideration you can, at any time, book a call back from a DWP decision maker to discuss your wife's claim which gives you the chance to say exactly what you disagree with. Preparing questions before hand is useful in making sure you don't forget to mention all the relevant discrepancies in the report. Good Luck and fire away if you have any more questions or need more help with anything...
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @1zzyskint

Disability Rights website has a good PIP section including how to make an appeal.
  • Jenniepj71
    Jenniepj71 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    My husband is epileptic, has only few fits, a year but they're bad and always requires a short hospital stay as takes hours to come round,  his memory is terrible he forgets things easily, and can't concentrate, for long gets lots of auras, where he has to lie down twice a day maybe more. Is it worth applying for pip? 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.