tiny bit of hearing and meeting/interacting with new people — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

tiny bit of hearing and meeting/interacting with new people

nadia_atlas
nadia_atlas Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited June 2017 in Sensory impairments
Hi all, I am new to Scope and I just wondering if anyone has interesting stories about ways they interact with new people especially when you rely on lip reading and body language because I cannot hear?

Comments

• CaderMac
    CaderMac Community member Posts: 105 Pioneering
    Hello @nadia_atlas, welcome to the community! 

Action on Hearing Loss have some handy tips for hearing people on how to communicate effectively as well as tips for those with hearing loss which you may find interesting/helpful. 

Looking forward to seeing what other stories/tips people in the community can offer! 

Cader x 
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @nadia_atlas,

How are you? Welcome to Scope's online community!

I'm mildly deaf myself and so have a few issues from time to time when it comes to meeting new people - I think it all depends on the environment for me!

Although I don't lipread as such (I think I do this without me knowing), I certainly get a few hints from body language and make sure I'm relatively close to the person speaking. If all else fails on that front, I sometimes ask them to write down their message on a piece of paper, or get them to type it out on my phone. I have different strategies for every situation, I think!

I hope you find this interesting/useful. As @CaderMac mentions above, Action on Hearing Loss have some useful information about effective communication as well, should you wish to give that a look.

If you have any other questions, please do get in touch!
    Liam

Brightness