ESA to WRAG — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA to WRAG

Lindyjayne
Lindyjayne Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I've been moved to WRAG from ESA, I've put in for MR, could someone please advise me of any changes in my benefit, rent and Council tax that will be made during the MR stage and whilst waiting for an appeal, tia Lindy. 

Comments

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Your benefits will stay the same whilst doing an MR.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello Lindyjane - I'm assuming what you mean by this is that you have requested a MR of the decision to place you in the WRAG and that you think you should have been placed in the Support Group? Nystagmite is correct that your ESA and other benefits should stay the same while you are going through the MR process, but you need to be aware that the chances of a revised decision at MR stage are notoriously small, so you may find yourself preparing for an eventual appeal (at which your chances of success are much higher!). It may be a good idea to start preparing for an appeal by a very thorough examination of how you are going to get to the Support Group, and if / how you can provide evidence to support your case. You need to read up on the extra descriptors that trigger access to the Support Group, or if you come within any of the exceptional circumstances categories which also permit access to the Support Group. You can find excellent resources about accessing the Support Group on the Disability Rights UK website, and also on www.benefitsandwork.co.uk. Good luck with your MR!
    Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Candyfloss
    Candyfloss Community member Posts: 34 Listener
    What are the exceptional circumstances to put you in the Support Group
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    edited October 2017
    Hi Candyfloss,

You are treated as having limited capability for work-related activity (put in the support group) without satisfying the descriptors if you have a terminal illness - your death can reasonably be expected within six months, or you are receiving or recovering from chemotherapy or radiotherapy for cancer, or (and this is the main criteria for most people) there would be a substantial risk to the mental or physical health of yourself or someone else if you weren't put in the support group, or if you are pregnant and there would be a serious risk of damage to your health or to your baby's health. 
    The above are the exceptional circumstances, otherwise you need to satisfy one or more of the support group descriptors, which can be found here:

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/1353-support-group-descriptors

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.