Advice about ESA and benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice about ESA and benefits

hlaraine74
hlaraine74 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I'm new to the community and was wondering if anyone has any advice as I'm on esa but work 10 hours a week as that's about all I can manage.. tomorrow I have to attend yet another health assessment in the middle of London. If I'm kicked off of esa they will make me look for another job to boost my hours up to 16.if this happens I lose my dla and my freedom pass which means that I'm over 200 pounds down every month as I will need to pay for public transport. .I can't physically do many more hours as I have a relapse every now and again and need to keep stress to a minimum. Any advice about benefits and esa please? Thanks..xxx

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @hlaraine74,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you're having with ESA. I've moved this discussion over into our Ask a Benefits Advisor category, where @BenefitsTrainingCo may be able to advise.
    Liam
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Dear hlaraine. I'm sorry we weren't able to answer your post until today, so I'm assuming you have been to your ESA assessment? Please post again when you get your decision and we will try and advise if necessary.
    Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @hlaraine74.

A very very warm welcome to our community.

Please please read the above it is very good info for you.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with ???
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @hlaraine74,

How are you? How did the health assessment go?
    Liam
  • MikeBroderick
    MikeBroderick Community member Posts: 235 Pioneering
    Hi @hlaraine74:

Please see the Benefits Overview and Benefits Calculator for further information about benefits generally.

Have you had your ESA assessment? Where do things stand at the moment?
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    hlaraine74,

Do let us know how it went if you've had your assessment. Two pieces of advice in the meantime though:

1) you will NOT lose your DLA because you work more hours. DLA (and PIP) are benefits which can be paid in or out of work. (Also, I don't think your Freedom Pass is dependent on being on benefits?) Of course, you might have to apply for PIP at some point. I would not worry about that until you get the letters 

2) if doing more hours would cause you to relapse then you may be entitled to ESA because work is a risk to your health. This is sometimes called the reg 29 rule. If you are not successful in the assessment, then it's worth challenging the decision and pointing out the risk to your health which working any more than your current 'permitted work' would cause. Another rule, called reg 35, says that if work-related activity (such as having to prepare a CV or go on training courses) would be a risk to your health, you should be put in the support group.

Hope this helps.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.