People Passing Opinions!! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

People Passing Opinions!!

Options
Blue Frog
Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
My little girl is off nursery today so we nipped into town. In the space of two hours we encountered pretty much every attitude to disability possible!!

The lift into ASDA has been broken for 3 months, so we had to walk right round and drag our shopping up and down a huge ramp again. 

The staff in Next pretty much fell over themselves to help us, to the point where it was almost funny. 

The lovely older lady in Costa who said how beautiful my little girl is, what a lovely mum I am and how it's so nice I am taking her out instead of keeping her at home (?!) 

The man in the car park who pointed at my little girl and our WAV with his walking stick and said how lazy and entitled I was getting a van when surely I could pick her up and put her in a car seat. 

That was was just one morning - I have decided to adopt the approach my daughter has: flap, laugh, ignore everyone and be happy

Comments

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Options
    How rude! I get similar as an adult. 

I've been told that:
    I'm lucky I don't have to work. Just a pity that for me it's not a choice.
    It can't be that bad because I can do xyz or because they knew someone with a completely different health problem who manages

And then there's the staring. I was taught it was rude... I know I look "different". Please don't constantly remind me of it. And no, I'm not getting into a discussion as to why I wear dark glasses or what I've done to my eyes. (only done this once - but he was 5 and it was a relative's child. He wasn't being rude - he was being genuinely curious) 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Brightness