Devastated that my 7 year old son has Asperger's syndrome — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Devastated that my 7 year old son has Asperger's syndrome

Bruno2009
Bruno2009 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2017 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi, I have only just realised that my 7 year old son has Asperger's syndrome. We feel devastated and are looking for support. We live in Exeter and would like to meet other people with the same problem.

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    edited June 2017
    Hi @Bruno2009,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

It really is a wonderful place here with lots of people available for a chat or to offer advice and support. Why not have a browse of our categories? You may find our Ask an ASD advisor and Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) groups of particular interest.

Have you also visited the National Autistic Society's website? They may also have some useful information for you.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please do get in touch.
    Liam
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Bruno2009.

It's great to meet you, I do hope that we can help you ????

Please let us know if we can help you further ???

Have a great evening !!!!
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Bruno2009 welcome to the community, any diagnosis can be a shock but your son can have a great life with an Aspergers diagnosis.  Are you getting any support after diagnosis?

Take a look at the National Autistic Society website, they have local groups around the country.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Bruno2009
    and welcome to the community.

Here are some links you might find useful:
    http://www.southwestautismsupport.com
    http://www.autism.org.uk/services/local/england/south-west.aspx
    http://devon.integratedchildrensservices.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/ASC-Useful-Information-1.pdf

While I appreciate that finding out that your son has Aspergers has been devastating to you, he is still the same child. My daughter was diagnosed at 12, by which time we had come to terms with her autism. We struggled with her behaviour before this, but understanding what was going on allowed us to help her. We never lowered our expectations of her, and allowed her the freedom to do the same things her peers were doing, including making mistakes. She is now 24, got a first at University and now works in a busy London store dealing with all kind of customers.

Obviously each child is different, and most of her teenage years we wondered if she would achieve what she wanted to do. As Sam says, your son can go on and have a great life.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bekirk
    bekirk Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    At the charity shop I volunteer in, the manager took me aside and said that I displayed traits of Asperger's, which another volunteer had had.  This was because a customer called me 'dummy' as I didn't point him towards the changing room straight away.  She says I do not look directly at people, and when researching it I noticed the sensitivity towards loud noises and flashing lights, which I do have.

I have had an appointment with my GP to discuss the possibility and will see her again next week.

• Dee5657
    Dee5657 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi  Bruno. My son has Aspergers and he is quirky but he is kind and caring and at almost 20 years old he has surprised his dad and myself in the past 19 years 11 months . He has 17 certificates for exams he has passed and also he has graduated from an engineering course at college . Today he passed his theory test and he is learning to drive and doing so well .  He worked in a store for almost a year part time but was picked on by the manager as he was different , The manager constantly referred to his condition like it was something to be ashamed of but he stuck at the job and when he was told he would not have been taken on if they had known he had Aspergers then he quit as he said "that is discrimination and I am not putting up with that from ignorant people" . We are so proud of him for standing up for himself . I have worried over the years how will he cope when I am no longer here but he is holding his own , he is a very clever lad and he will get by in life , he has proved how much he has grown this past couple of years . So please don't worry . Having a child with Aspergers is a gift ,  they are special and they are good, kind, loving children. I feel so blessed to have my son he is amazing . Yours is too , just look beyond the Aspergers and get every bit of support you can get through school and college and work when he eventually gets out into the workplace . It is a journey with rough roads sometimes but the smooth roads are so rewarding . With the right support they can be amazing people. Good luck on your journey . I read every book I could on the subject and always tried to be very patient and it has been a lovely journey overall so far. I thought in the beginning it was the end of the world but I soon found  out it was not at all  in fact quite the opposite. All the best , Dee xx

Brightness