Autism assistance dog — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Autism assistance dog

kaggs40
kaggs40 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2017 in Autism and neurodiversity
I am asking for information I have a 20 year old daughter who was diagnosed with Autism and other disabilities at 15.she has a passion for animals and with support she achieved a diploma in animal management.
We are searching for charities that may be able to assist in the funding for a therapy/assistance dog.
We have spoken to various companies but the waiting list is in excess of 2 years.
We have found a company that can source and train a dog especially to my daughter's needs but this isn't cheap we have set up various fund raising campaigns, but if we could get domes grants etc it would quite literally save her life as she is very suicidal at present.
Can anyone please advise of any charities that may be able to help.
Many thanks in advance 

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @kaggs40 and welcome to the community.

There are charities around that could help, but so many work in specified areas rather than nationally. Please don't provide anything too specific, but if you can provide the nearest city/town or even county I am happy to take a look around for you.

Has your daughter been able to put her diploma to practical use?

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kaggs40.

A very big welcome to you I do hope that we can help you ?????

Wow hasn't she done well you must be very proud ????

Do you want me to help you ????

If so what are are looking at ???

What charities are you looking at ????
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @kaggs40,

Welcome to Scope's online community. It's great to have you here.

In terms of charities, have you had a look at Dogs for Good? It may also be worth contacting the National Autistic Society and asking if they can point you in the direction of some charities who may be able to help.

You mention that your daughter is suicidal. If she is having thoughts of suicide, it is important that she discusses them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org. Your daughter might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how she can help herself.
    Liam
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you been in touch with Support Dogs
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness