My Dad needs a Care/Fall Alert Button — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My Dad needs a Care/Fall Alert Button

Nazajoaa
Nazajoaa Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello everyone,
my dad has severe heart failure, water retention around his heart, lungs and now his legs are so swollen he can hardly bend at the knee, he is on antibiotics, he has fallen so many times in the house. I'm close distance wise and I am a carer, but I still feel if I'm not about he wouldn't be able to get to a phone especially if he fell. Is it possible do u think to get one of those alarm pendents that he can just press for help, but free of charge as he is a pensioner and registered disabled. Can anyone advise me please?

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Nazajoaa.

Its great to meet you.

My go reffered me to my "local social service team"

They would then come out to assess your farther.

I then got the phone service with the pendant.

I was also having a number off falls

• MikeBroderick
    MikeBroderick Community member Posts: 235 Pioneering
    Hi @Nazajoaa:

Welcome! Thanks for your post.

I am sorry to hear that your Dad is struggling.

I would recommend contacting your local authority/local Council, as in my experience they sometimes run those services.

Failing that, you might also try your local Citizen's Advice Bureau.

Best wishes to you and your Father.. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hey @Nazajoaa Im sorry to hear about your dad, there's some great advice on Care UK about care needs.

You can get an assessment of needs through your local council. They do say though that no social care is free. The amount you pay depends on the level of need and the amount of assets you have.
    This means that a social worker (or sometimes an occupational therapist or nurse) will come to your home and ask you questions about what you find difficult on a daily basis.
    This assessment will be used to work out what your levels of need are and what support can be provided.
    A needs assessment must always lead to the production of an agreed care and support plan. You should be provided with a copy of this plan.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness