Having difficulty with son's school — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Having difficulty with son's school

sjsotc
sjsotc Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2017 in Education
I have an 8 year old with right sided hemianopia and two other children on the spectrum plus a 13 year old. Having terrible time with schools. Want to move to infield manor in Sussex but current school refuse to accept they can't meet my sons needs at the moment even though we've had huge problems in the past.  It took us a year of fighting to get his wheelchair in school because they didn't want to do the risk assessment :(. Now his fatigue is so bad he can only manage 1/2 mornings at this school he is being signed off by doctor but school are still pressurising us to get him in full time.  It's all very stressful.

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @sjsotc,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you've been having. There's plenty of groups and discussions in this community where members will be able to offer advice and support. You may find our Parents and Carers group of particular interest.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please do get in touch.
    Liam
  • MikeBroderick
    MikeBroderick Community member Posts: 235 Pioneering
    Hi @sjsotc:

I hope you're doing ok, and that maybe some of the stress has lessened a bit?

Are there any specific questions that you need help with? Have you talked to a SEN Advisor about this?

In addition to the Parents and Carers area that @LiamO_Dell mentioned above, we also have an Education and Learning discussion area (where I am going to move your post) and an Ask an Educational Psychologist discussion area which may be helpful.

Please let us know if we can help.

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sjsotc.

I'm so sorry to hear your current difficulties, please take the info above.

But please please let me know if I can help you further ???
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @sjsotc  and welcome to the community.

Have you check out IPSEA? https://www.ipsea.org.uk

With over 30 years experience supporting and advising parents of SEN students they are normally where I check first for SEN issues. I used them when I was a school governor and have signposted them to many parents as their advice is free.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness