Stammer/stutter — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Stammer/stutter

Arthur
Arthur Community member Posts: 7 Listener

I have had a stammer my whole life. Do you think having a stammer can affect our mental health? 

Comments

• iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    edited May 2017
    Hi @Arthur

I just check what means to have stammer and in my opinion does it or does not it have an impact on the mental health is very personal. 
    There are people who stammer when they talk but once they sing everything change.  I think it all  depend of  the way of feeling connivance with it and the way of support person received at early education. 

I recently listened to one of the brave stories on FB  and the person explain how she felt and what impact stammering had on her and her mental health. 
     Link to story 
    I hope you will like  to listed to story of one of  Brave Woman. 

Have a great day. 

Iza 

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Arthur.

Welcome to our website/community.

Please please have a good look on our home page where you will find plenty of help & advice.

There are also a number off advisors who will be more than happy to help you.

We also have a very active online community where people can talk to each other & share their experiences.

That one is a must !!! 
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Hi @Arthur, I don't have a stammer, but hope you didn't mind me stopping by to say hi! 

I now take heck loads of gabapentin and it has effected my speech. I take other drugs that mean when talking I forget words, stutter a bit, can't concentrate on a whole sentence.... I know it's not the same. But it has really effected my confidence and the natural flow of conversation. It is embarrassing and frustrating and it makes me think about my friend who has a stammer and I know he has very low patches. 

I guess there are many factors to mental health. 

What causes a stammer? Can it be linked to causes of mental health problems such as anxiety etc? 
  • MikeBroderick
    MikeBroderick Community member Posts: 235 Pioneering
    Hi @Arthur:

I hope you are well.

Thanks for your post.

I know from seeing media reports over the years that a stammer/stutter can affect a person's confidence, so I am sure it can be difficult.

We do have a Mental Health Advisor if it's helpful.

All the best to you.

Brightness