so very fed up of having to justify my disability - invisible disabilities — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

so very fed up of having to justify my disability - invisible disabilities

Michellesmith0506
Michellesmith0506 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I'm disabled but so very fed up of having  to justify my disability. I have Sma and Fibromaligha /chronic pain and to look at me I look perfectly well. I get so very down and suffer from depression and anxiety. X x x

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Michellesmith0506 welcome to the community, I have an invisible impairment too and it is hard to be prejudged on the way we look.

I actually wrote a guest post about it before I started working for Scope about there being more then meets the eye.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Michellesmith0506.

Good evening & welcome to the "online community"

Yes the "Invisable Disability" is far harder to "Justify" than a "Visable" one.

Folling my Stroke in 1998 everyone keep saying how well I always looked !!!!

I did think about having a tattoo with "STROKE" on the back off my "Head" but at the last minute I had a change of mind as I didn't want people "Stroking my Head"

Please please let let us know if we can help you further ???
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    @steve51 that made me laugh! I would have stroked your head if I saw that tattoo!!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    It's always tempting to reply "but you don't look stupid". I've given up trying to justify myself. It's even worse when it's from other disabled people who supposedly know better.
  • Catman
    Catman Community member Posts: 64 Courageous
    edited July 2017
    I also have an invisible disability like yourself, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in October 2015. I can also appear well but actually be in chronic pain and feel exhausted. I hate it when people ask me what I do for a living, my illness has robbed me of my job as an Aircraft Fitter and now my home. I often push through the pain as much as I can, play it down to my partner and maintain an active sex life, though I always suffer the next day. I never make promises anymore as there are often days when I can't 'just keep going '.. By the evening I'm usually exhausted and in chronic pain. Keep your chin up Michelle. 

Brightness