Motability and over 65s — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Motability and over 65s

Rocky848
Rocky848 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited July 2017 in Transport and travel
Like a lot of others, I to find that I could be disabled after a replacement shoulder operation and after 13 weeks find I am still very restrictive in movement. I was told I should be back driving in about 6 - 8 weeks after op. But find I am no where near that goal and am getting very frustrated, because the onus is on my wife for all the driving. She is still working full time at 63 AND BECAUSE THE GOALPOSTS HAVE BEEN MOVED SHE CAN'T RETIRE UNTIL SHE REACHES A MONTH SHORT OF 67, LIKE MANY OTHER WOMEN HAVE FOUND.
Then I thought to myself, never mind lest try Motobility lol! HaHa, what a laugh, now find I am TO OLD AT 68 to apply. Apparently we are on the scrap heap. 

TO ME THIS SMACKS OF GROSS DISCRIMINATION against us young OAP's

I can't afford to buy a new automatic car with an adaption on steering wheel, so what do I do?

This seriously needs to be looked into and the RULES CHANGED.

DO YOU AGREE? If so do we need to start a petition to get these rules changed.?

>:) 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rocky848 welcome to the community!

Im sorry to hear you are having such a hard time, we have a benefits calculator here that you could try to check you are claiming everything that you could be entitled to.

I found this on the Motability website:

You can apply to join the Motability Scheme if you are aged 65 and over and you receive one of the following allowances:

• Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
    • Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
    • War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)

Does any of this help? 

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rocky848.

It's great to meet you & I'm so sorry to hear about your current problems.

Yes it is very difficult when you are unable to go to work anymore ???

My wife is the same as she works full time (in a very stressful position)

I had to take early retirement at the age off 50.

I'm very sorry to hear about the "Motability Scheme"

Hopefully the above info will help you but please let us know if you require any further help !!!!

• Rocky848
    Rocky848 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi everyone, thanks for your Comments, much appreciated.
    Sam_Scope, The Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) apparently is no longer available if you are a new applicant and over sixty five years of age. You are re-directed to Attendance allowance which you can't use for motability.

That is why I feel very strongly, that this is Gross Discrimination towards the over 65's. Especially as the Pension age is being increased gradually.

I would be interested to hear from other members who have come up against this brick wall?

Look forward to your comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @Rocky848

Don't know if this helps but some dealers will give five years' interest free credit on new cars.
  • Hudo53
    Hudo53 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    @Rocky848
    Hi Rocky, I agree with you one hundred percent.  I am 63 and was working in a job I had been in for nearly 40 years, but had to leave in the end because of my husbands disability and the situation.  He is 68 and like you cannot get mobility allowance.   It is a real struggle.   I bought a car just before he became disabled and now no longer able to upgrade this.  I also have arthritis in my hands.  My husband has COPD and just had a above the knee amputation, so we as well are in this horrible place.  Whereas young disabled people get discount on road tax, because of his age we are not even entitled to that.   So we struggle on with a heavy wheelchair (which although I have asked to change they are reluctant, and also reluctant to help with an electric scooter to be able him to go more on his own, or when we go out he can be independent.   It is all a nightmare, with no adaptions yet even in sight.   I sympathise with you, and agree it seems wrong.

Brightness