Have epilepsy, losing my job/ What benefits am I entitled to? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Have epilepsy, losing my job/ What benefits am I entitled to?

ShannonMcCarten
ShannonMcCarten Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have been diagnosed with epilepsy for a year now but I wasn't having fits everyday. Recently I'm having one everyday and my work is 'letting me go' because of my disability. I really need advice where to turn to about getting benefits for my disability. 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ShannonMcCarten.

A very big welcome to you to our website/online community.

I do hope that we can help you ????

You have come to the right place we will try to sort things for you.

Please go to our home page where you will find a "Benefits Advisor" they should be able to help you.

There is also a"Benefit Calclator" you will be able to put your details in & it will let you know what "Benefits" that you should be able to claim.

We have also got a very active online community where you can "meet & great" other people in similar situations as you.

Please please let me know if we can help further ????

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger

@ShannonMcCarten

Have you spoken with ACAS to make sure that work are 'letting you go' legally?

Get face to face advice from CAB or similar organisation if available or take a look at CAB website.  Disabilty Rights publish a comprehensive benefits handbook. You have to buy this but it is very good - details on DR website.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello Shannon......from a benefits point of view, using the Benefits Calculator on this Scope website would be a great idea, as you will be able to see what's available to you. If you are off sick from work but still employed, then you would need to consider your entitlement to Statutory Sick Pay. If you are no longer employed (and obviously you should check that your employer is behaving legally), and you are too unwell to work, then you need to be considering Employment and Support Allowance, plus other benefits depending on your household, children, housing costs etc. If you are having frequent seizures, then you also need to consider claiming Personal Independence Payment as well, which can be paid on top of earnings, SSP, or other benefits. The Benefits Calculator will give you the right steerage. If you need further advice, then please post your query on the 'Ask a Benefits Adviser' part of this website, and we will do our best to help you.
    I hope this helps!
    Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.