Hi, my name is Kirstyp! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Kirstyp!

Kirstyp
Kirstyp Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi I'm a single mother to a 4yr old boy I suffer from osteoarthritis in my hips and spine due to complications when younger. I also suspect I'm getting in I'm my knees too. 

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @Kirstyp,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you here.

There's plenty of groups and discussions which you can get involved with, whether it be to ask for some help and support, or just to have a chat with other members. You may find our disabled parents category of particular interest.

If you have any questions, then please do get in touch!
    Liam
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Kirstyp
    Welcome to the community! That must be really tough to deal with having a young child on your own too, but I do think that kids are great at adapting to situations.  How do you find it looking after a little one with an impairment like yours?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Kirstyp
    It can be hard on days when I'm in pain despite taking meds and need to take strong ones that make me tired or if I have a bad night. He is good though and will entertain himself. If we go to the park he will find children to play with so I can sit. Some days are hard though and I feel down but I just go to bed when he does at night and I'm OK for next day once I took my meds that is lol
  • Kirstyp
    I will be glad when he is at school full time in September so I can have more time to rest if I need it as I do get tired and sore sometimes I'm asleep by 8
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh that sounds tough! I know the feeling though, I am in bed for 8! My kids have learnt that sometimes I need rest time, and for years they have brought their books/dvds/drawing and just got in bed with me.  I honestly think it helps kids to become more empathetic and caring. 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness