Low seating in public spaces — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Low seating in public spaces

Options
174rich
174rich Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I'm 6ft 5" and weigh 27st
 Disabled with problems with mobility
 To sit down, if the seat is less than 22" tall I cannot get up from it. Why is it that seating on nearly all public places is LOW. some areas now recognise bariatric needs with wider seatimg. Bit why is it that height is never considered.

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @174rich,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you here.

I've moved your post into our Physical/Mobility Impairments category, where other members of our community can join the discussion.

If you have any other questions, then please do get in touch!
    Liam
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @174rich welcome to the community, it's a really interesting point you make.  After I had surgery I really struggled with low seats too!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    One of my soapboxes, that.   All seating needs cannot be identical. Providers should be aware of the legal need not to discriminate directly or indirectly

Bad backs sometimes like to be kept straight, so their owners will perch on the edge of a table, a radiator, a windowsill, rather than get into a right angle.    Or, they might prefer to stand up or lie flat, never sit.

Weak knees often like  help by  high seats, ideally with arm rests so the hands can assist with lowering down and pushing up.

Short people need low seats.   Some people need soft cushions, others opt for a hard seat.   Some heavy people need benches without division, so they can use a double space.     Some public  places, though, like to ensure nobody can lie entirely flat, because it attracts an ' undesirable element'

Brightness