My son's off to residential college in September - looking for information on how other parents cope — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son's off to residential college in September - looking for information on how other parents cope

Options
annette18
annette18 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi joined this community as feeling the strain a little. I am Mum to 2 lovely boys and I work full time. Our eldest, 19, is off to Residential College in September after a long, fraught battle to get him there. He's going to be there 5 days a week with us picking up/dropping off every weekend. I'm ecstatic that he's going but now the worry is setting in...also what do I do every night now? My whole life has/does revolve around him and his care, hospital appointments and his social life. I expect the 15 year old will find life very strange too as he is the carer from 4-6 every evening til I get home from work!  Just wondered how other parents cope really.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @annette18  welcome to the community!

This is such a new period of your lives that it is no wonder you are feeling anxious about it all.  It will take time to get used to this new routine, but I am sure it will be a positive one for you and your family.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @annette18

A very big welcome to you I do hope that we can help you ???

"I do feel for you "

Please please have a look on our home page where you will find info about "parents of disabled children"

If you encounter any problems please let us know.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI @annette18 how are you getting on? 

Are there any other parents who can offer their experiences?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness