Hi, my name is christina watson! Advice/ information please — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is christina watson! Advice/ information please

christinawatson
christinawatson Community member Posts: 4 Listener
My husband has just had his replacement hip removed due to a psoas muscle abcess which is the source  of his blood & bone infection. it's unlikely he will have another hip replacement  because he is so prone to infection. Its a long complicated story which I won't start as  you the reader will probably fall asleep with boredom!!!
I am starting the road of finding out what benefits he can claim to help with adaptations to the home, disability allowance etc etc. We are both retired and are fortunate in owning our own home. I have tried phoning the UK govt website number & SCOPE . The phone queues are long. I'm sure many of you have experienced this frustration. Any advice & information would be helpful. Thank you. Christina

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome Christina
    You can start by putting your information into an on line benefits calculator, there is one on this site.
    My wife had a similar thing albeit with an elbow replacement, so I have an idea what you are going through. Long story short, elbow out, plastic pipe in, 6months later infection gone, new elbow in, year later elbow broke, new elbow in, routine checkup fluid in joint keptin for four week, currently awaiting drain of more fluid. In the mean time Hip replaced, broke new hip fitted.
    CAB would be able to give you more details of benefits and grants etc 
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • christinawatson
    christinawatson Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi Cockneyrebel
    I'm so sorry to hear of your wife's health situation - The whole thing sounds horrendous - how awful for you both. 
    Thank you for your advice - I will do as you suggested. Good ole' CAB, where would be with out them.
    best wishes Christina

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @christinawatson

A very big welcome to you I hope that we can help ???

Please pop over to our home page where you will find lots of info on "Benefits"

We have also got a "Benefits Advisor" who be a great help for you !!!!

There is also a "Benefit Calculator" which will also be off help !!!!

Please let us know if we can help you further ???
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @christinawatson

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

As @steve51 and @CockneyRebel both mention, Scope has an online calculator available which should be able to tell you which benefits you can claim for. It's also in a section with detailed information about different benefits, which may also be of interest to you.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, then please do get in touch!
    Liam

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.