Looking for advice about Autism — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for advice about Autism

jillas74
jillas74 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2017 in Autism and neurodiversity
My grandson is 2 and been diagnosed with autism just looking for advice and help  anything really that could help. Thank you

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @jillas74,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you here.

Have you checked out our Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) category? There might be a few discussions there which might be of interest to you. You can also ask our ASD advisor a question if you're looking for more specific information or advice.

We also have a dedicated page on autism on our website, and The National Autistic Society also have lots of useful information on their website too.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, then please do get in touch.
    Liam
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
  • Mia_Alumni
    Mia_Alumni Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    Hi @jillas74,

I see Liam has signposted you to the information we have available on our website. He also mentioned The National Autistic Society (NAS) website, which has quite a wealth of information available. I will signpost you to specific areas for easy access.

Your grandson being diagnosed at age 2 is in some ways good news - the earlier you find out about an autism diagnosis, the sooner you can start trying strategies and interventions that may be able to help: http://www.autism.org.uk/about/strategies.aspx

Some key areas to look into will be behaviour and communication: 
    http://www.autism.org.uk/about/communication.aspx
    http://www.autism.org.uk/about/behaviour.aspx

I appreciate the news can be distressing and shocking, but try to focus on what you can do to help, and find the positives where you can. The positives may be hard to see at first, but while ASD brings its challenges (hence being diagnosed), many autistic individuals also have characteristics that are useful as well. Getting support for his challenges will be important, and promoting his strengths will be just as important.

Your role as his grandmother is an important one. NAS has useful information for grandparents which would be good to keep in mind: 
    http://www.autism.org.uk/about/family-life/grandparents.aspx

Think about searching for local support services and groups; a good place for this would be the Autism Services Directory, available on NAS’s website, here: www.autism.org.uk/directory This directory has details of groups, services, courses, and products all across the UK for autistic people, their families, and people who work with them. Using your postcode or browsing by category, you can search for local support services and groups. Get in touch with groups where you can get to know other families (you can learn from them by exchanging experiences/knowledge), or have a look to find a local NAS Branch (they are really good sources of information). Read through the descriptions and get in touch with the services or groups to learn more about them.

NAS also have a Parent to Parent (P2P) service where you can talk to parents/carers. They are there to listen to feelings, problems, and can offer some strategies or signpost you to other sources of information. For more information on this, please see:
    http://www.autism.org.uk/services/community/family-support/parent-to-parent.aspx

If you have any specific questions, please do let me know and I will see how I can help.

Best wishes, 

Mia

Mia
    Helpline Information Officer
    Phone: 0808 800 3333
    Email: helpline@scope.org.uk
  • lonewarrior
    lonewarrior Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Hi Liamo dell and Danny Moore just wanted to thank you, I sometimes try to help on the NAS forum when parents come on asking for information, why me? Well I am not exactly knowledgeable about autism or aspergers in fact I have no formal diagnosis but one thing I do have is an overwhelming need to help as it breaks my heart that they are not receiving help from the correct sources. I cannot post links and having dyslexic traits as well means my short term memory is very poor,
    After seeing that sometimes 20 or 30 views and still no replies I try to give some kind of understanding to them. Even if it allows them to talk it seems to give comfort that someone my age has achieved a modest but good lifestyle,I am a proud grandfather.
    I am aware that no two people on the spectrum are the same and reading Danny mores reply is just so precise and informative. It should be available for any new people looking for an understanding on the subject.
    So again thank you so much.
    I hope you don't mind but on the NAS forum I am known for giving hugs albeit virtual ones.Why? Because in reality I never hugged but always wanted to, I still rarely do but at least now I feel more able.
    Hug to both of you ( ). ( ).   :)
  • [Deleted User]

Brightness