Our son has early psychosis - any strategies or tips? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Our son has early psychosis - any strategies or tips?

damian28
damian28 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
We have just learned that our son has early psychosis and has been prescribed medication, but we are having difficulty encouraging him to take it - any strategies or tips you can share  and he is a young adult 21 ! 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @damian28 welcome to the community, I am sorry to hear about your son.  I have moved your post to the Mental Health category where I hope you will get some information and support.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @RebeccaMHadvisor, is this something you can help with?
    Liam
  • RebeccaMHadvisor
    RebeccaMHadvisor Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    Hi @LiamO_Dell

I not sure if this has duplicated with Sam moving it? (I'm not amazing when it comes to technology) but I think I might have answered this somewhere else?

Rebecca 
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Oh, so sorry, @RebeccaMHadvisor, I've just seen your reply elsewhere. Apologies!

@damian28, here's Rebecca's response to your comment on another community post:
    Hi @damian28 

Unfortunately many patients with mental health conditions refuse to take their medication at some point and watching on can be heart breaking. I am sure that you are able to see side affects of him not taking the medication and it can be frustrating and tiring. 

First things first - have you had a conversation about his reasoning? 

If he is refusing because he is having side affects or because he doesn't think it is working. Both of those reasons it would be worth having a conversation with him and his doctors as to what is happening and the impacts on him. He might think he has already had this conversation but that he isn't being listened to in which case it is important to put yourself in his shoes and understand what he needs.

Not taking the medication because he doesn't think he needs to is very different and is a lot harder to address. He might seen the medication as getting in his way and forget that it has made him well. Reasoning can sometimes help, reminding him of how things were before he started to take the medication.

The best advice I can give you though is talk to him.

Hope this helps
    Rebecca
    Liam

Brightness