disability element of working tax credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

disability element of working tax credit

Options
leah3110
leah3110 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
So I have finally spoken to an experienced advisor at the Tax Credit Office in relation to my overpayment of £2900.  Apparently, the compliance officer has removed both the standard (£3000 a year) and the severe element £1300 a year) 
This took effect from July last year hence, why the over payment is that amount.  I am still entitled to the standard and I am unsure whether the case worker associates both elements as severe disability. 
The standard should not have been removed and because of the action taken, has resulted in severe financial hardship.  My full award based on last years income should be £480 every 4 weeks but the only amount I am currently receiving is the £65 child tax credit every week.
I have missed a further bone density scan due to not having the money to attend. 
Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @leah3110 Im sorry you are having such a tough time, I have moved your post to as the ask a benefits advisor category. 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Hi @leah3110

If you have not done so already, you need to appeal this.

Unfortunately the administration at the Tax Credit Office is really REALLY poor, and sometimes mistakes do not get sorted until Tribunals iron them out.

Aside from this, you also need to write to the complaints department (clearly head the letter COMPLAINT), explain the situation from scratch in a tone you would take to explain it to a child.

Also seek the aid of your MP - there is a separate department at the Tax Credit Office to deal with MP complaints and unsurprisingly they assign some of the more competent staff there, so they can also sometimes resolve errors more quickly.

Hope this helps - let us know if you need anything more.

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.