After a bit of advice about ASD please... — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

After a bit of advice about ASD please...

Tinny
Tinny Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2017 in Autism and neurodiversity

Just after a bit of advice and to see if anyone has the same struggle?

I love to go out and do things just like any neurotypical girl in her 20's, but it really takes it toll.

A few hours shopping, visiting friends, having dinner, all zaps my energy afterwards.

I find I AM able to do these things (however hard), where I know some may not be able to cope with busy environments and loud noises etc..and I often question my ability to do so.

Its after the event when all the problems start. It depends on how challenging the situation is, and for how long, as to the length of time I feel the after effects.

It feels like the worst hangover, a complete brain fog. Sometimes I feel physically unwell from it.

Most recently, I attended a local festival, (much smaller than the big music ones like V festival). With friends (who are very understanding of my ASD) we camped for the weekend, and I felt fine until the Sunday afternoon when it all went down hill and all my energy had been used up. I felt weak, tired, had a massive headache, and could not focus on anything. This feeling lasted almost a whole week after. On the Sunday and following Tuesday I fainted twice, which I can only put down to feeling exhausted. I have no other heath issues, and I was extremely embarrassed to say the least. 

This isn't the first time it has happened, and wondered if anyone else has had any similar experiences?

It worries me to go and do these things now in case it happens again.

Any advice or tips on how to deal and cope with situations like this would be really appreciated.

Sorry for the long post too.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tinny welcome to the community, I have moved your post into our Ask an ASD advisor category where @VioletFenn may be able to offer some support.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • VioletFenn
    VioletFenn Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Hi @Tinny

This is going to be a quick response for now as I'm in the middle of child-herding, but I couldn't not reply. I often react to things in a very similar way to you - you are definitely not alone! I can cope with many things that people might think I 'shouldn't' be able to manage as an autistic person - I'm just fine whilst I'm doing things. It's the before (stress and anxiety) and afterwards (exhaustion and anxiety) that affect me. I've also passed out on more than one occasion for no apparent reason - once was in front of my partner's work colleagues outside a very busy pub in the middle of London, so I know that mortification only too well! I honestly think it was just down to high levels of anxiety caused by being in a stressful situation.

DON'T STOP DOING THINGS. The world closes in if you do that. It's over a year since the fainting incident I've just mentioned and it hasn't happened again, but I've had several occasions when it's felt very close. I read a really interesting thing the other day (can't remember where, sorry) about a chap who can put off epileptic fits by making himself concentrate on every little thing going on around him - 'I am sitting on a brown chair', 'there are three cars on this street and one is red', 'I am drinking water, it is cold', literally that basic. He also does the old 'pat your head whilst rubbing your stomach' thing - might look daft, but it distracts his brain enough for things to settle down. I'm planning to try it next time I feel a 'funny turn' coming on - maybe it would work for you too?

(Oh and whenever I go to an event that involves a lot of people and/or camping, I need at least four days of doing practically nothing afterwards, to let my brain gather itself back together. Like I said - def not just you ;)

Violet
    ASD advisor, Scope

Brightness