Pip assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip assessment

twang5
twang5 Community member Posts: 29 Listener
had my assessment on august 7th ask for assesors report received on 14th   Not a good report but seems she has given me 8 points for care and 10 points for mobility. Does the decision maker go along with these points. No decisions yet. Help 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi
    It is unusual for the DM not to accept the recommendation of the HCP but it does happen.
    Is that the result you were hoping for ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • twang5
    I would accept the standard rate care but not sure about standard rate mobility as I was on high rate mobility on d l a  just got to wait for decision very stressful 
  • CockneyRebel
    The criteria for PIP is different to that of DLA.
    How did the HCP score you on the mobility part ?
    Can you show that you can score the extra points ?
  • twang5
    Scored 10 for moving around with aids yes can show for extra points but not sure I want to go through it all. If I get standard rate for both I think I will accept 
  • CockneyRebel
    When you get your decison letter, have a look to see the length of your award. If it is a short term review, bearing in mind that most reveiws happen 12 months before the theoretical end date, it might be a good idea to wait and prepare for the reveiw with the knowkedge that you now have. That is of course if you don't currently need the enhanced rate ie. motability car.

CR

• twang5
    On sssesors report says 2 years reviewed after -2 months. I do not have a car. Thanks for your input
  • CockneyRebel
    So if you have a 2 year award you can expect to be reviewed in 12 months. Just for your info some 2 year awards are finite with a need to reapply 14 weeks before end date. This will be on your decision letter, some people only read the award and money the end date  and reveiw is often buried
  • twang5
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi twang5,

If you have physical difficulties with walking it sounds like you have been scored 10 points because you can walk 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. To score 12 points you need to prove that you cannot walk more than 20 metres.
    For the higher rate mobility DLA you had to prove that you are "virtually unable to walk" which was generally accepted as 50 yards, so the test is different and much harder under PIP.
    Hopefully with this advice you'll be able to decide whether you should pursue a mandatory reconsideration, but as well as increasing your award there is always a possibility of reducing it too so please be aware of that. All the best.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• twang5
  • twang5
    Awaiting decision on pip had my assessment. Got letter today saying they have got all the information they need and will write with their decision. Anyone know how long this takes? 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @twang5

Two weeks plus. Have you asked DWP for a copy of assessor's report?  This will give you an idea of your likely award.
  • twang5
    Yes got assesors report 10 days ago seems that I got 8 points care and 10 for moving around. Do the decision makers go with these points ? 
  • CockneyRebel
    Generally the DM will go with the HCP report but not always. If you disagree with the report there is a small window to talk to a DM if you think your evidence is strong enough to support a higher award
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @CockneyRebel That's an excellent idea. Do I gather you're suggesting @twang5 and others in a similar situation should ring DWP and  ask for a call back from a DM to voice their disagreement with their assessment report before they get their Decision Letter. I started trying to get one step ahead about halfway through the process after I found out by accident how to get to speak to a DM. I rang up one day about my claim and spoke to an advisor who said "Would you like a call back from a DM?". I agreed and I ended up doing this again later on in the process which was a huge help in getting my Mobility increased. That was after the MR. So there we have 2 important things claimants can do that isn't written in any of the official descriptions of the PIP process. 1. You can speak to a DM anytime after your assessment and before your Appeal and 2. You can ask for your claim to be looked at again after the MR provided you do whatever the DM asks. You may have to write another MR letter and/or send in additional evidence specified during the call. Make sure though that you apply for Tribunal at the same time otherwise you may run out of time. 
    I hope this helps someone to get what they're entitled to..            
  • CockneyRebel
    That is exactly what I was suggesting, thank you for explaining better than I can

CR
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi everyone - tactically I think speaking to a DM if you can is always a good idea (as long as you don't let them fob you off from requesting a mandatory reconsideration if you are not happy with your decision!)

There is always the possibility that the DWP will revise the decision later on, as there are several powers they have to reconsider decisions. However, I'd bear in mind that if you are supplying new information or evidence they didn't have when they made the decision, then they don't always have to take it into account. So if at all possible, make sure you supply it within the time limit...or as wildlife puts it 'do whatever the DM asks'.

Equally important is making sure that you lodge your appeal within one month of being sent the mandatory reconsideration notice, even if you're still liaising with a DM.

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.