PIP money paid 3 weeks in arrears — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP money paid 3 weeks in arrears

denverjo10
denverjo10 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited August 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I recently got my award for pip  and was happy with the out come.but on the letter i was informed that my money would be payed 3 weeks in arrears ,this means i will never see this money.When i phoned the pip regarding this the guy sad what do you mean you will never see this money,i said that if i was to pass away in 6 months time the money is gone for ever.He explained the money would go into my estate.So i will never see this money in my life time.I also said what would happen to this money if i had no next of kin,he could not answer me,but we all know it would go to the state. this is a absolute disgrace.  Regard Mike.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2017
    Hello and welcome denverjo10

That is unusual. PIP is normally paid 4 weeks in arrears

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • denverjo10
    dla is payed 1 week in advance an pip 3 weeks in arrears,this accounts for the 4 weeks,thanks for getting in touch. Mike.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @denverjo10,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

I'm sorry to hear about the situation you're in with PIP. @BenefitsTrainingCo, do you have any advice?
    Liam
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi denverjo10,

PIP is paid 4 weeks in arrears once the transition from DLA to PIP has occurred. Try not to think about what would happen when you pass away, your claim will end when you pass away so it's unlikely there would be any money to be left for anyone. You've had a positive decision so try to enjoy your life and use the money in the best way that will help you.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• denverjo10
    I would like the chance to enjoy the money while i am still here,but do not worry about it i intend to be around for a long time yet {God willing} thanks for your input. Regards Mike.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    denverjo10,
    Hi Mike,

As Lee says, PIP is usually paid 4 weeks in arrears BUT if you are terminally ill (which is defined as your death being reasonably expected to happen within 6 months), then it is paid it is paid weekly in advance.  So it really depends on the diagnosis & if you're getting PIP under what are called the 'special rules' for terminally ill people.

Anyway I'm very glad to hear that you're intending to be around for a while. Of course if you're worried about what happens if you have no next of kin, you could always make a will (leaving your money to whoever you wish, or to charity). But as Lee says, the claim stops when you pass away.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• denverjo10
    Hey thanks for your input,i was just trying to put my point across.I hope we are all around for a long time yet,take care and God Bless. Mike.
  • magunra2k
    magunra2k Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    Mike does have a valid point, paying it in Arrears doesn't make sense for a Benefit of this type, its not like paying a wage in arrears and you would use the final wage from one employer to keep you going until you are paid from your new job, the likelyhood is that someone claiming PIP is likely to do so until they pass away so will never see that money, The people who create these Benefits seem to have no idea what life is like for real people reliant on state benefits. 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    At one time State pensions were paid a week in advance.  Now, they are paid in arrears!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.