I have Fibromyalgia, Osteo porosis and arthritis - am I entitled to benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have Fibromyalgia, Osteo porosis and arthritis - am I entitled to benefits?

tillysmum
tillysmum Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, I'm new here, but came across this site by accident. I have Fibromyalgia, Osteo porosis and arthritis. I had to give up my job of 22 years in primary school in 2012, after having almost a year off with long term sick leave while I tried to get the Fibromyalgia under control. To date, I have claimed nothing in monetary terms, having been informed by my doctor that Fibromyalgia is not recognised as a "bona fide" condition. So I was interested to read some of the comments on here about your struggles to claim benefits. I feel like I should be entitled to something, after all, ive paid into the system for over 40 years, and since leaving my job ive had to rely on my husband to care for me financially. It seems like a minefield to get through and I must admit I'm at a loss to knew even where to start to begin the process of claiming.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello tillysmum and welcome

First of all put your details into one of the online calculators, there is one on thid site.
    There are two basic types of benefit that may be avail;able to you

PIP which is the benefit for people having difficulty with everyday tasks. Some people have been awarded this with Fibro, but it is not easy. try taking an online self assessment test. This will give you a good idea of what is involved.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system

ESA is the benefit if you are unable to work.
    Again try the self test on the same site

Please let us know if we can help in any other way

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tillysmum

A very big welcome to you to our website and online community.

I am currently on DLA (PIP?) & ESA following having to take early retirement due to my many ongoing health problems.

Please let me know if I can help you with this ???
  • tillysmum
    tillysmum Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Steve51 and CockneyRebel -Thank you both so much for the welcome and the offer of advice and help, I will certainly be taking a look at the options you both suggested. Many thanks.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tillysmum

That's no problem at all it's my pleasure.

Please please let me know if I can help you further with this ????

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.