Tell us your volunteering tales! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tell us your volunteering tales!

Emma
Emma Community member, Scope Member Posts: 85 Connected
In celebration of Volunteers Week, we've been sharing stories about our volunteers at Scope this week. Here's one of our community champions, Niki, sharing her experiences: http://blog.scope.org.uk/2015/06/02/were-all-part-of-a-community-both-on-and-off-line/ Now we'd like to hear from you! Tell us about your volunteering experiences ... where have you volunteered in the past or now? What makes volunteering enjoyable for you?

Comments

• EllaB
    EllaB Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    When I was a teenager I used to volunteer at the local 'mental hospital', as it was called back then. It was a terrible place, full of people who were locked away from community, and given very little to do. Standards of care have changed so much since then. One of my favourite things to do with the residents was to play the piano and have a sing-a-long. It was such a cacophony of sounds, but they used to throw themselves into it with such enthusiasm, and I always came away with a smile on my face!
  • leezylon
    leezylon Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    edited July 2016
    Read @Leezylon's blog about volunteering at the CP Football World Champs. Tickets still available! http://t.co/Rsz1qywXbK
  • wendybem
    wendybem Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    I have been a girl guide leader for 34 years 
    there are some things I can't do as I have cp diplegia 
    so hiking, and any activities on my feet for long periods are out of the question 
    I have just been awarded on the New Years honours list the British Empire Medal for services to girl guide association and the Wirral .
  • arac
    arac Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I just wanted to say how impressed I was with the young volunteer who asked me for a minute of her time yesterday near to Tottenham Court Road tube station. In that minute she described the work of Scope and how important that is to the lives of the disabled. I thanked her for the devotion and passion she clearly has for her work to find that so few stop prefering to walk on by. Thank you Mirage, you were fantastic!
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing this @arac I will pass on your kind words to the volunteering team!

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Dasiydo
    Dasiydo Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
    Here past volutar 
    Girlguide leader of Rainbow Guide lost it because parent did not appect me 
    I volutar for Richmond fellowship in Staffordshire but lost conect now I hope volutar of making space but haven't got back to me so feel another volutar form as plan b
    I help run volutar group in music group
    V.shaw

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.