If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Jean_Scope Chatterbox

Hi, I am an Information Specialist (enabling environments), based at the Scope Helpline. I am also a qualified Occupational Therapist. 


Last active
Member, Helpline, Community advisor


  • PurpleMomma
    Hi Jean,

    Nice to meet you.  I would like to find out about how to lift up a 60-year-old self with ease when unexpectedly falling down due to  clicky knee joint and some leg arthritis.
    March 18
  • Toffee26
    I do keep a dairy of daily activities if I can remember what r done lol also have made a start on writing my thoughts down but my.head god round a lot ..thank you for replying & yr help.x
    February 28
  • Anth
    Thank you for your help Jean..will check it out.
    February 21
  • Jean_Scope earned the 25 awesomes badge.
    You received 25 Awesomes. People love what you're posting.
    February 21
  • Jean_Scope earned the Community Watch badge.
    You keep the community safe by reporting spam and worrying comments to us, you are looking after everyone.
    February 21
  • watson
    Hello my 32 year old son has had a sca 3 weeks ago and his speech is almost non existence.but he knows what he wants to say so I was thinking he might be helped with some sort if speech computer I'm sorry I don't know what they are called but I have seen people use them through their computer.  My question is how would I go about finding out about one for him . Many thanks Jen 
    February 10
    • Jean_Scope
      Hi Jen,
      Thanks for contacting me. I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties your son is having, it sounds like a very worrying time for you and it is totally understandable that you would want to seek out things that might assist him. Voice generating computers are part of what is known as AAC (Alternative and Augmentative Communication). AAC is used to describe the different methods that can be used to help people with disabilities communicate with others, these methods can be used as an alternative to speech or to supplement it. This is this sort of thing that I would expect the Speech and Language Therapist (SALT) who is part of your son's rehabilitation team to be advising him about. To be honest, computerised speech support isn't normally the first thing that they introduce, probably because it takes a fair bit of practice and training to use. Also during the early stages of rehabilitation the SALT is often trying to assess how much speech a person is capable of regaining. Initially, it is often much more low tech solutions that are introduced, such as picture boards see: https://www.stroke.org.uk/what-is-stroke/what-is-aphasia/communication-tools#Communication aids I would suggest that you seek advice from your son's rehab team but if you wish to explore the sorts of tech that is available you might find this link of interest: http://www.inclusive.co.uk/articles/alternative-and-augmentative-communication-aac-a280 Hope this answers your initial question but if you need clarification please do contact me again, either here or by emailing helpline@scope.org.uk marked for my attention.
      Best Wishes
    • watson
      Thank you so much it's very useful and yes I will talk to rehab team . I've found he knows everything but so.etimes finds it hard to open his mouth x I'm sure as time goes by and with professional input this will resolve itself .
  • Jean_Scope was promoted to Level 4.
    January 31