If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

This category is now closed

Please visit the relevant category below to post your question or join the conversation:

Carer's Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)


Universal Credit

What benefits am I entitled to?

View all categories

disability element of working tax credit

leah3110leah3110 Posts: 5Member Listener
edited August 2017 in Ask a benefits advisor
So I have finally spoken to an experienced advisor at the Tax Credit Office in relation to my overpayment of £2900.  Apparently, the compliance officer has removed both the standard (£3000 a year) and the severe element £1300 a year) 
This took effect from July last year hence, why the over payment is that amount.  I am still entitled to the standard and I am unsure whether the case worker associates both elements as severe disability. 
The standard should not have been removed and because of the action taken, has resulted in severe financial hardship.  My full award based on last years income should be £480 every 4 weeks but the only amount I am currently receiving is the £65 child tax credit every week.
I have missed a further bone density scan due to not having the money to attend. 
Any advice would be appreciated


  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Posts: 6,779Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @leah3110 Im sorry you are having such a tough time, I have moved your post to as the ask a benefits advisor category. 
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 2,537Member, Community advisor Chatterbox

    Hi @leah3110

    If you have not done so already, you need to appeal this.

    Unfortunately the administration at the Tax Credit Office is really REALLY poor, and sometimes mistakes do not get sorted until Tribunals iron them out.

    Aside from this, you also need to write to the complaints department (clearly head the letter COMPLAINT), explain the situation from scratch in a tone you would take to explain it to a child.

    Also seek the aid of your MP - there is a separate department at the Tax Credit Office to deal with MP complaints and unsurprisingly they assign some of the more competent staff there, so they can also sometimes resolve errors more quickly.

    Hope this helps - let us know if you need anything more.

    Kind regards,


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Lee Kempson
    Mary Shone
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.