Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

Dementia diagnosis

I have recently been diagnosed with dementia,i am currently in the work related activity group of esa,is it possible i could be placed in the support group,i have sent in a supporting letter and proof of diagnosis to dwp will this be enough?

Replies

• NystagmiteNystagmite Member Posts: 609 Pioneering
     I have recently been diagnosed with dementia,i am currently in the work related activity group of esa,is it possible i could be placed in the support group,i have sent in a supporting letter and proof of diagnosis to dwp will this be enough?
    It's not the diagnosis. It's whether you meet the criteria for the support group.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Pioneering
    Hi Blackcat 73.  
    The criteria can be found on the Disability Rights website - see Factsheet 71!

You have two possibilities here - either to meet one of the 16 criteria that are listed; or to meet one of the Exceptional Conditions (Regulation 35), for example if there would be a "substantial risk to your health" if you're not placed in the support group. 

It's always a good idea to provide medical evidence of whichever criterion you are trying to prove. 

I hope this helps.

Here's a link to that factsheet:
    https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/work-capability-assessment

Best wishes

[email protected]

Sign in or join us to comment.