PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

How much in savings can I have as I need to apply for ESA and Housing Benefit NOW

1leglindy1leglindy Member Posts: 4 Listener
I have returned to the Uk after moving to Spain in February 2017. I broke my ankle in spain was operated on but wanted to come back to the UK to be close to my family and friends. I applied for ESA but was refused on Contribution based method. I am now applying for Income Based ESA...I have hardly any money but have just received into my bank account a tax rebate of £800. My current account is maxed out to the limit of my overdraft facility. My debts are mounting eg. loans and credit card repayments, and I am living hand to mouth funded by loans from good friends and sister. I am staying with a family friend but due to my lack of mobility because of my broken ankle they have said I have to move out asap...what do I do and who do I go to for help and advice. On line is easier as I have no means of transport and mobility is limited to allow me to go anywhere. I know my case isn't as severe or desperate as some others but I really am floundering around and need a lifeline...thanks everyone

Replies

• BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi @1leglindy -good name!

The savings thresholds for most benefits are between £6,000 - £16,000. Once you go over the £6,000 mark your benefits start to decrease, and they also want to know about any property you have abroad - but your £800 won't cause you problems I don't think!

Benefits wise, it'd be ESA in the short term and JSA (or more probably Universal Credit) in the longer term.

As regards Housing Benefit, you can claim this for a private rented property once you have found one, however the amount you will receive will be determined by a number of factors, such as how many people live there, your age, etc. Here's a link where you can have a check. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/search.aspx 

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Mary
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • 1leglindy1leglindy Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thank you Mary for your reply..... It has helped immensely. 
Sign in or join us to comment.