Bedroom tax. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bedroom tax.

Options
libbymin
libbymin Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello everyone,

im sure this has been discussed before but I have only just joined. 

I have a rented two bed house. I have been paying £14 a week bedroom tax even though I suffer very badly with my mental health resulting in needing friends/family to stay with me on a regular basis. 

The local cal authority have told me that unless I need a full time carer living with me all the time then I am not entitled to the second room. 

Is this correct? They are now telling me that the only thing I can do is move into a one bedroom place. This, as you can imagine is causing me a lot of stress and will cost me a lot of money. 

Help! 

Libby

Comments

• whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What benefits are you on? My guess is UC?
    Do you receive pip standard rate care. I think that permits a carer to stay over. 
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • libbymin
    libbymin Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    I’m on PIP at higher rate care. The local authority tell me that I should use it to pay the bedroom tax. 
  • sandyp196
    sandyp196 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
    Options
    I recieve pip higher rate and this entities me to a 2 bedroom property eveb though i am the sole tenant. I have to prove the extra bedroom is being used. I'm having to do that now. Bt I don't pay bedroom tax and I was allocated my present 2 bedroom flat based solely on the fact I qualified for pip higher rate. I live in Wales. I'm not sure if rules are different here. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.