If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Bedroom tax.

libbyminlibbymin Posts: 3Member Listener
Hello everyone,

im sure this has been discussed before but I have only just joined. 

I have a rented two bed house. I have been paying £14 a week bedroom tax even though I suffer very badly with my mental health resulting in needing friends/family to stay with me on a regular basis. 

The local cal authority have told me that unless I need a full time carer living with me all the time then I am not entitled to the second room. 

Is this correct? They are now telling me that the only thing I can do is move into a one bedroom place. This, as you can imagine is causing me a lot of stress and will cost me a lot of money. 




  • whistleswhistles Posts: 1,603Member Disability Gamechanger
    What benefits are you on? My guess is UC?
    Do you receive pip standard rate care. I think that permits a carer to stay over. 
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • libbyminlibbymin Posts: 3Member Listener
    I’m on PIP at higher rate care. The local authority tell me that I should use it to pay the bedroom tax. 
  • sandyp196sandyp196 Posts: 132Member Pioneering
    I recieve pip higher rate and this entities me to a 2 bedroom property eveb though i am the sole tenant. I have to prove the extra bedroom is being used. I'm having to do that now. Bt I don't pay bedroom tax and I was allocated my present 2 bedroom flat based solely on the fact I qualified for pip higher rate. I live in Wales. I'm not sure if rules are different here. 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Posts: 3,368Member - under moderation Disability Gamechanger
    So is there some reason you’re not getting a discretionary housing payment to make up the shortfall?
Sign in or join us to comment.