If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

Power of attorney and building society issues affecting his allowance

ABLUEBOYABLUEBOY Posts: 1Member Listener
edited October 2018 in Finances and extra costs
My son is 23 and severely autistic, we put some money away for  him in a building society but lost the details, we have since found the details and declared it to the taxman, which takes him over the limit on his funds and has affected his allowance. We have been trying to get the building society to release the funds for two years, but keep going around in circles asking for Power of Attorney. They said that if we opened a bank account ( which my wife did ,a joint account with my son and my wife's name) only to be told again that Power of Attorney is needed. We have been promised call backs to help with the problems and they never replied. My wife is his appointee with the Works and Pensions and she has sent all such documentation to the BS, but to no avail and she is now at her wits end and find it difficult to progress this matter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated


  • Ami2301Ami2301 Posts: 5,812Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ABLUEBOY welcome to the community!

    Sorry to hear your current situation. Unfortunately I am unsure how to advise however there are very knowledgeable members in the community who wil be in contact with you soon to advise you.

    Please let us know if there is anything else that we can help you with! :)
    You're a fighter. Look at everything you've overcome. Don't give up now!
  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Posts: 7,732Administrator Scope community team
    We have this information on the Scope website:

    A lasting power of attorney is a legal document that lets you appoint people to make decisions on your behalf if you became unable to make your own decisions.

    You must be 18 or over and have the ability to make your own decisions when you make your lasting power of attorney. If you do not have mental capacity you may need a court-appointed deputy.

    Senior online community officer
  • atlas46atlas46 Posts: 827Community champion Pioneering

    Can I please ask some questions, before responding to your post.

    Who opened your son's BS, in the first place?

    What "allowance" will be affected by this BS account?

    Not sure why you had to inform taxman, as tax is paid at source by all BS?

    Is your son on any means tested benefits?

    As your wife is the appointee, has she discussed it with DWP?
  • topshoestopshoes Posts: 443Member Pioneering
    @ABLUEBOY i  think some how you need to see a solicitor about all this ,take every bit of paper work with you and need to tell them every think. 
Sign in or join us to comment.