Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Concerned about the Coronavirus?

We've put together some helpful information and advice about Covid-19 on our website.

You can also read about: improving your wellbeing, getting food and essentials and claiming benefits during this time.

Esa Medical Review

Happy New year. My brothers esa Medical Review is end of May. I ring to ask when his forms will be sent out and it varies from March till after May, they don't give me the same information just when his review is. Does anyone please have a better idea? Thank you 

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 18,534 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Happy New Year to you too.

Timescales for ESA are just a guide and nothing more because with the work capability assessment you can be re-assessed anytime from 3 months. Unfortunately, no one ever knows exactly when that form will arrive. All he can do is make sure he has evidence to support his claim ready for when it does arrive. Other than that there's nothing else he can do.

Hope this helps.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Tina66Tina66 Member Posts: 54 Connected
    Hi Poppy, thank you so much, just so I can be sure, his review is end of May, the earliest we can expect forms is end of February (as I will have to help him)? 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 18,534 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem.

That is not correct. They can review him anytime from 3 months, this means that you or he won't know when that form will arrive. ESA is an ongoing award unless found fit for work.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    What's the point of the date they give as the review then 🤔
    It's just a guide and nothing more. This is the reason why ESA decision letters never ever have an award length of time on them. Ringing DWP to ask how long the award is for, is pointless.
    Honestly, what a pain. They always give me the exact award date when I ring however, and they have been doing so for the last year, so you can understand why I am confused for brother. 
    It's impossible for them to give you an exact award date for ESA because there's no exact award dates. You can be re-assessed anytime from 3 months. ESA is an ongoing award unless you're found fit for work.

I've been claiming ESA in the Support Group since 2013 and i've never had an award date.
    I believe you as you have helped me re my brother accurately every time but this is what they tell me. 27th May 2020
    Thanks. My knowledge of the benefit system is quite extensive. They've most likely taken that date from the timescale that was given for the last decision but as i said, it doesn't mean anything.
  • blue32blue32 Member Posts: 33 Connected
    Yes can be anytime my ESA review is almost two years over the date and I've heard nothing
    Really appreciate help and advice, thank you both  😊
    Sorry me again, very quick, just to ask, today when I phoned ESA for my brother and asked about his review, irrespective of the date they gave etc, if the medical questionnaire had been  sent out to him say today for example would the man have had this information when he was looking at my brother's details on screen to tell me ...? 🤔 
    No because the work capability assessment isn't sent from DWP, it comes from the health assessment providers. This is the reason why they never come in brown envelopes, always white ones and this is even more of a surprise when they do arrive.
    Thanks again Poppy 🙂
    I know it's really stressful but try to forget about it because it's not going to help to constantly think about it, it will only cause you even more stress. My way of dealing with things like this is to put them as far to the back of my mind as possible otherwise my conditions will only get worse through worry and stress. I know it can be difficult to do this all you can in the meantime.
     ❤️ Thank you 😊
    You're welcome! :)
    Me again, I rang pip for my brother and woman on phone spikr
    Me again, I rang pip for my brother and woman on phone told me she spoke to case manager and reviews are still 12mths and not 6 months. My brother heard this, snatched phone and starting panicking and getting angry because last time we were told 6 mths. I calmed him down and woman was very nice. He then started to worry that because of outburst his claim would be effected but woman said no, only when review is due will any changes happen and nothing to worry about but he doesn't believe me. 😕
    Yet again the advice you were given by DWP is not correct. I can assure you that PIP reviews if you were awarded by a Tribunal are most definitely 6 months before and not 12 months before. Very few DWP advisers know this because there wasn't a formal announcement.

My PIP ends in October 2020 and previously i would have received my forms in October 2019 BUT because of the changes in review times i haven't yet received them. I will receive then in April.
    Hi, my brother was not awarded pip by tribunal, it was just a normal assessment, I am very confused now. Will he get into trouble also for snatching the phone off me because he doesn't believe me that it is OK? 
    Then he'll be sent the review forms 6 months before his award ends. No he won't get into trouble for that, i'm not sure why you think he would. Hope this helps and please try to relax.
    Hi Poppy, because he makes me anxious when he gets anxious and because he was a bit rude and basically panicking on phone and then worrying I can't help but think irrationally too. I am angry though that the woman, albeit very nice, asked her case manager who definitely said 12 months because as case managers they should know that it is 6 months and that's really very incompetent 🤔
    Never trust DWP to give any correct advice. You don't know for sure that it was the case manager she asked, it could have been someone completely different.

As i advised, it was never officially announced but my advice is 100% correct and my PIP award is proof of that.
    @poppy123456 hi Poppy, hope you're OK? Wanted to ask, please, relative died few months back, my brother and I are beneficiaries of will which should be completed we hope by April. If my brother goes over 16k I know he just rings up UC and tells them. We don't know situation yet but If over 16k and all benefits stop, would we need to send proof to UC because it is over 16k as not sure. Sorry if it is confusing, just want to do everything right when time comes. 
    I’m sorry to hear that. If it’s over £6,000 then he will need to report that changes to DWP and his benefits will be reduced by £4.35 per month for every £250 over that amount. If it’s more than £16,000 then he won’t be entitled to any means tested benefits and this will include council tax reduction. 

If you are claiming any means tested benefits the same will apply to you. Changes need to be reported as soon as the money go into the bank. No bank statements would be needed at this point. 

Hope this helps and I’m not too bad, thanks for asking. Hope you are well. 
    Hi Poppy, I'm OK, thanks for asking.  if he gets over 16k and then needs to reclaim means tested benefits when he goes back under  will he need bank statements then? I'm just not sure when to produce them, when he declares he's over 16k (if we get that) or when he's back under to reclaim .... Sorry 🙏 
    It will be when his savings go back under the maximum limit.
    Thanks Poppy. ☺️
    And have a nice evening too, hope the new home is nice and you are settled. 👍
    Oh btw, @poppy123456 does PIP get effected re savings too, which is what he also gets? 
    Thanks and you too. House is lovely and all settled thanks.

PIP is not means tested. Just the UC and council tax reduction and which ever means tested benefits you are claiming, if you have the inheritance too. 
    Hiya, thank you and my brother says thanks too and glad all is well at your new house 🏡 
    Hey Poppy, hope all is well? Hope you remember me, you have given me great help re my brother. My uncles inheritance is due end month as is my brothers WCA assessment for UC, he also claims ESA contribution based. As we think he is getting over 16k and obviously his UC housing, LCWRA and daily living allowance will stop, what will happen to the WCA assessment form he will have filled and sent? Esa contribution-based (he is in support group) have said as it is separate benefit and not income based it will not affect it but they also said they go by the decision of the WCA assessment but if my brothers WCA assessment form isn't looked at because it overlaps with inheritance, how will ESA contribution then know if they should keep paying him because he is still unwell, inheritance aside. I am really confused, it is complicated and I don't know what we are to do? Thank you 😊 x
    I'm plodding along thanks. I'll feel a little better once my daughter has her baby, not sure how much more stress i can take :/ Hope you're well too.

Contributions based ESA and PIP will not be affected because both are not means tested. UC will stop if he has more than £16.000 in savings and so will council tax reduction, if he claims this.

I'm not sure on the answer to this because i've not heard of this situation before. I'll tag a member of admin who will hopefully be able to help you further. @Adrian_Scope i'd appreciate your help with this please?  I'll copy and paste the question here so you don't have to read the whole thread.

Thanks in advance!
    My uncles inheritance is due end month as is my brothers WCA assessment for UC, he also claims ESA contribution based. As we think he is getting over 16k and obviously his UC housing, LCWRA and daily living allowance will stop, what will happen to the WCA assessment form he will have filled and sent? Esa contribution-based (he is in support group) have said as it is separate benefit and not income based it will not affect it but they also said they go by the decision of the WCA assessment but if my brothers WCA assessment form isn't looked at because it overlaps with inheritance, how will ESA contribution then know if they should keep paying him because he is still unwell, inheritance aside. I am really confused, it is complicated and I don't know what we are to do? Thank you

Hi, yes please because I am very confused and upset because we don't understand and need advice. Hope your daughter has baby soon😊
    It most likely won't be until Monday that Adrian will reply because admin doesn't work weekends. In the meantime try not to worry because his ESA won't stop in the meantime.
    Thank you, it is a complicated scenario that he is in and a worry and we need to understand how it works if possible so hopefully next week Adrian may have some idea. 😊
    No problem. There's really nothing at all to worry about so try to relax.
    Hi Poppy, I know we're waiting for Adrian tomorrow re the complicated issue, but i think you may be able to please advise today: my brother was on his UC looking at his payments and he accidentally clicked on Health declare a new fit note. He just came out of it and went back to looking at his payments but Health declare a new fit note was now showing up on his To Do List!! We went into it and this time cancelled it and it and now says on journal Health declare a new fit note - cancelled. We popped a note on journal to explain was an accident/error. Will he get in trouble now? 😕
    It's been canceled, nothing will happen.
    Thank you 😊 
    Hi is Adrian able to help me and brother? Not heard anything 🤔
    I can only assume that he hasn't worked this week yet, i know admin don't work 7 days a week. I wouldn't worry about it too much at the moment because nothing will happen until he receives the money in his back. Once he has it then he'll need to report the changes.
    Hi poppy, thanks for replying, i understand that but as per original question there are other things that may cause problems and we need help with thst. 🙏
    I understand that too but nothing will happen with his UC until the money goes into his bank and that hasn't happened yet.

If you are still worried and it seems like you are then you can ring Scope for advice.  The number to ring is 0808 800 3333

Hi is it freephone? 
    Yes 0808 numbers are free and have been since 1997.
    Hi, that's good. Ill give it another day in case Adrian responds and also i can't call today for my brother and he's not good at calling himself. Really appreciate your help 👍😊
    @poppy123456 hope you're staying safe, and that you're looking after yourself? My brother got inheritance yesterday, over 16k, we have obviously cancelled and had his UC stopped. We spoke to ESA contribution based this morning and they haven't had any notifications yet from UC as only done yesterday. She then told me his next review is now due March 2022 (when they have always told us it was due May 2020) and she couldn't tell us yet if he is still entitled to ESA contribution-based even though he's in support group and to call back next week to give more time for them to get confirmation that UC is closed. Surely as it is ESA contribution-based and he has been in support group since 2013, he should still be entitled until his next reaasement? THANK YOU 
    I'm good thanks. Hope you're well too.

Contributions based ESA is not affected by savings and this will continue to be paid. The timescale they give is just a guide and nothing more, you can be reassessed anytime from 3 months.

If he's claiming council tax reduction then he needs to contact his local council regarding his savings because he will no longer be entitled.
    Hey Poppy, difficult times yes we'll call council tax later. She told me that because his ESA award was linked to his UC it may mean he won't get his ESA contribution based and only stamps. Im confused! Will his pip continue? 
    His ESA has nothing to do with UC, payments are deducted from UC but that's it. His ESA will continue to be paid because it's not means tested.

PIP isn't means tested and will continue as normal.
    Thank you. Stay safe 😊
    Poppy forgot to add, my brothers inheritance went in the day after his assessment period ended and UC told him that because of that reason, even though his claim is now closed he is still entitled to that payment because inheritance was paid into account the day after his assessment period finished. We asked them if he needed to send statement but they said no, only when he reclaims. I thought they would want it in advance, just bit puzzled 🤔
    Did your daughter have baby? ❤️
    Sorry, i didn't see this. Yes, he will still be entitled to that final payment, as advised by DWP.

Yes, he was born a week ago today weighing 8Ib. We were able to see him before the lockdown was put into place, thankfully. He's gorgeous and looks just like my daughter!
    Congratulations 😍
    Thank you!! <3
Sign in or join us to comment.