Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

Re-assessments and assessing companies medical staff

It is my opinion that all ESA benefit renewal assessments should stop (for the next 3 months they're still doing paper and telephone assessments), and no current WCA award be ended. Given the current circumstances no ESA claimant should find themselves without an income.    
The healthcare professionals working for Maximus, Capita and Atos (IAS) conducting these assessments on behalf of the DWP can then be encouraged to return to the NHS during this national crisis.

If you agree please email / contact your MP.
https://members.parliament.uk/members/Commons

Also you may wish to contact your MP about the government providing emergency support to Charities helping vulnerable people during this time, (in the same way as it has for small and medium sized business).

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 19,381 Disability Gamechanger
    I couldn't agree more Alice. I had a WCA form at the end of last week and it's just ridiculous! Now i have the added stress of keeping myself safe, as well as trying to fill out the form, gather the evidence and then post it back by 13th April!

I'm going to use that link above to contact my local MP. Thank you!
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • atlas47atlas47 Community champion Posts: 94 Pioneering
    Hi @poppy123456

I am sure the DWP announced yesterday, that all assessments have been put on hold for next three months.

Might be worth informing them, you are in self-isolation for 14 weeks, as per PM advice.

Plus, more importantly, nana has to meet Noah, which is far more important.

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 19,381 Disability Gamechanger
    I contacted my local MP regarding this last night. I had a reply today and he told me that he did contact DWP and also they have suspended face to face assessments. There's currently no guidelines for stopping sending the forms out for reassessments. Therefore the form will need to be filled in and returned by the date stated on my letter.

Absolutely disgusting considering everything that's going on right now to think that these forms are still being sent out.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Alice_HoltAlice_Holt Member Posts: 46 Courageous
    There's currently no guidelines for stopping sending the forms out for reassessments. Therefore the form will need to be filled in and returned by the date stated on my letter.

Absolutely disgusting considering everything that's going on right now to think that these forms are still being sent out.
         I think this DWP (in)action verges on the inhumane. (To put it mildly). 

Everybody is stressed enough without having to go through the start of a WCA reassessment process, especially now that any support / advice services are severely curtailed.  

Keep well @[email protected]

• mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 4,728 Disability Gamechanger
    There appear to be two threads going on this so I may as well contribute the same thoughts to both.

An interesting idea. Not sure it stands up under analysis. 

1 - it assumes the outcome of such assessments would be a decrease in income when in fact DWP stats show the most likely outcome is that it doesn’t change. 

2 - it rules out the possibility of perfectly valid increases for people in need. Nobody will retrospectively fix that. 

3 - it most kicks a whole pile of anxiety down the road eg how long is it postponed for? When will they resume? In many cases it will trigger it exacerbate health cindittin s abd their consequences. 

4 - the assumption is that these HCPs have come from the NHS. The stats show that in fact many have never worked for the NHS in the first place and that a significant number work part time in 2 roles. Their other role? In the NHS or private practice because the full time NHS roles aren’t there.

5 - for those who are just part-time I’m not seeing a reason why they couldn’t keep doing their current role and perhaps do NHS work on top.

6 - the issue with the NHS is not necessarily staff so much as beds, ventilators and medicines. I can see what a paramedic could contribute but an OT?

7 - it avoids the issue that if you have no renewal assessments then you’re reducing the work for DMs, the need for appeal tribunals and so on. Somewhere down the chain people will lose income or jobs in consequence. A bit like how everyone wanted schools shut but forgot that someone has to provide free school dinners and education. 

8 - if you work for a charity I’m not sure you should be touting for money on a public web site on behalf of “charities”. 
Sign in or join us to comment.