Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

What have you been up to today?

66Mustang66Mustang Member Posts: 846 Pioneering
I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread where people can just share what they have been doing during the current day and maybe it will give others some ideas as to what to do to fill their day...especially now as boredom is common at the moment!

I have:
Done some studying
Read and posted on a few forums
Played World of Warcraft
Been for a drive

Replies

• leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 535 Pioneering
    I went for a drive and bought some terracotta fish for the bathroom (as you do), then I did a little seed gathering from my big blousy poppies as I call them. Zen I meditated for half an hour Zzzzzzz.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,407 Scope community team
    I worked, drove to the retail park and then came home. Not the most eventful of days!
    Anything exciting planned for the evening anyone?
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
  • christian96christian96 Member Posts: 94 Courageous
    No. Just finished dinner
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 9,519 Scope community team
    Yesterday I worked, went on a walk, had food then watched The Sinner on Netflix's.

How are people today? :)
    Community Partner
    Scope
    I’m fine @Chloe_Scope, been struggling with some ornamental grass in a pot! The grass was in the pot not me. Also remembering happy times gone by, mostly about my mum actually. 🙂
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 2,241 Disability Gamechanger
    Today I had a nice lie in after not sleeping well during the night, had a lovely bubble bath.

Made cheese scones, watched few recorded tv programmes and now on here for a couple of hours.

My boyfriend coming after work , going shopping and then cook dinner together 

Have a happy day everyone
  • pollyanna1052pollyanna1052 Member Posts: 1,998 Disability Gamechanger
    After my carer got me up and ready, I made 2 masks. Just found some garden wire which makes great nose pieces in them. Then I made a fabric git bag with drawstrings from pink ribbon. The bag holds a glass jar and I intend to fill it with marshmallows.

It`s an inexpensive way to buy pressies...fabric was an old duvet cover.....ribbon was 50p, buttons were 2p and jar was £1. Marshmallows wont be much.

Great gift for around £2!
  • 66Mustang66Mustang Member Posts: 846 Pioneering
    Very nice everyone :)

So far today we had a neighbour around for coffee and then went for another drive.
  • christian96christian96 Member Posts: 94 Courageous
    Today in the morning I went to the library and to a local arts store. This afternoon I met a friend for a bit then came home. In my area all the shops, restaurants and libraries are open again. I saw lots of people on the street as I walked home. Even the cafe located right next to the library is up and running once more. 
  • GrinchyGrinchy Member Posts: 148 Pioneering
    I got up late today, the postman brought me some blurays i had been waiting on,   did some housework,went and had a rest,  will be up late watching films, not a bad day
    I went to the supermarket today. It's weird wearing a mask. I found it hard to breathe and it made me feel sick. Also, somewhat counterproductively to the point of the mask, it made me keep coughing. This was only my first time wearing one though so hopefully I will get used to it. Technically I don't have to wear it at all (autism) but it doesn't cause me any real distress so it would be wrong to abuse the exemption just because I don't want to wear one. Plus I'd rather just wear one and blend in than draw attention to myself and have to explain to people that I have autism.

I also went for some more drives around the countryside which was fun. :)
  • TopkittenTopkitten Member Posts: 1,172 Pioneering
    edited July 26
    Didn't sleep at all last night so I'm tired and grumpy.
    Played Old School Runescape for a few hours.
    Had a few coffee's and some chipsticks.
    Now back on Runescape for something to do.

Oops forgot..... made a few posts on here.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
    Saw an old friend, had a nice chat and a coffee and he gave me some organic garlic he’d grown. I know the garlic was organic because it was covered in mud! Glorious mud. 
    Topkitten said:
    Didn't sleep at all last night so I'm tired and grumpy.
    Played Old School Runescape for a few hours.
    Had a few coffee's and some chipsticks.
    Now back on Runescape for something to do.

Oops forgot..... made a few posts on here.

TK
    I quite like OSRS myself! What do you like doing on there? I'm a skiller myself!
    leeCal said:
    Saw an old friend, had a nice chat and a coffee and he gave me some organic garlic he’d grown. I know the garlic was organic because it was covered in mud! Glorious mud. 
    Home grown stuff always tastes really nice, I hope you make something nice with it :)
    @66Mustang, do a bit of everything and skilled to 1921 levels with a CB of 101.

Today did about the same as yesterday although if anything ate less. Didn't post at all for 24 hours, needed a break because things were getting on top of me.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
    @Topkitten that is an impressive total level, well done getting that far. My total is 1093 although I am a levell 3 skiller. I am currently working on my fishing which is 98 at the moment. Not sure what I will do after that as I prefer the "AFK" skills and that is my last one that isn't 99! Can't cope with agility!!!

I hope you are feeling a bit better today.
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Administrator Posts: 66 Courageous
    What is everyone up to on this cloudy Tuesday afternoon? Well, it's certainly cloudy here in West Yorkshire.

Online Community Coordinator
    Ross 
    Nothing more than usual, still feeling the effects of taking too much medication at the weekend.

TK
    edited August 4
    I haven’t been posting much for the last few days as my laptop is out of action and Apple are refusing to repair it at the moment due to limited availability for appointments. :/

I know there is a virus going on at the moment but my laptop is under a 3 year warranty which is currently ticking away - they won’t pause it - and I can’t use the laptop. I paid for 3 years of use from the laptop - I would expect them to at least extend my warranty, by the amount of time I lose while they won’t fix it, but they are offering nothing. :/

Luckily I got my old iPad (just about) working so I can do things on the internet again for now. :)
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,407 Scope community team
    Pro or Air @66Mustang? I'd heard that Apple were extending warranties. It only seems reasonable that they'd do the same for you.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
    Trying to stay cool!! 
    Community Partner
    Scope
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 1,140 Pioneering
    I've had a lazy day today apart from the internet and breakfast ! I'm for some reason feeling pretty low the last few days and can't seem to dig myself out of it, shame really as the weather is so good, no doubt when its peeing it down next week I'll be wanting to get myself moving again...ah well !
    @Adrian_Scope it’s an Air. I didn’t know they were doing that, I will look into it. Thanks!!

@Chloe_Scope yes it’s been very hot here too, I like the heat myself!!

@woodbine sorry to hear that. Sometimes I feel like that. I find that when you have little motivation, doing things you love doing are easy to do as they don’t require a lot of motivation, and they help lift your mood. Anyway I hope you feel a bit more upbeat soon.
  • chiariedschiarieds Community champion Posts: 2,986 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @woodbine - I'm so sorry you're feeling like that. I find when it's so hot, altho my joints feel better, it saps your energy. I wanted to be out in the garden, but just did a little bit after 8pm, including lots of watering! I do hope you're at least a tad better tomorrow. Please let us all now, & take care. :)
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Administrator Posts: 185 Pioneering
    Hi everyone! How are you today @chiarieds and @woodbine ?

The hot weather really sapped my energy yesterday too.  I was so ready to go to bed at night! 

I am working today, then plan on going for a little walk when I finish for some fresh air and after that I'll be watching more of 'The Fall' on Netflix.  Jamie Dornan is amazing in it! If you like crime thrillers I'd recommend it.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 1,140 Pioneering
    Hi all managed to get a decent nights sleep, but still feeling out of sorts, it will lift that much I do know, take care all x
  • chiariedschiarieds Community champion Posts: 2,986 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Cher_Scope - I'm feeling better today, thank you. There's a cool breeze right now which is lovely. Yesterday I felt 'poo-yuck,' a phrase I heard often from a little boy some time ago, which was his description for anything he didn't like! :)
    Poo-yuck is a very useful phrase and one I will try and adopt from now on :D 

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 2,241 Disability Gamechanger
    Spent morning baking a cake choc with cream and strawberries.  Also prepared dinner chicken in white wine with rice 

Then a chill watching grand prix qualifying 

Perfect day 
    edited August 8
    Today I meditated on the meaning of life and whilst so doing I fell asleep 😴 
    however when I awoke I had a sudden realisation ...reality is what I experience between naps, therefore lengthen naps. Simple. 😊

(meditation is better than sitting around doing nothing, I insist)
  • csno01csno01 Member Posts: 88 Pioneering
    Sounds like everyone has a positive day. Today I:

Saw a friend for lunch
    Did a little browsing and popped on here
    Just had a go on my Synthesizer. It was constructive 
  • csno01csno01 Member Posts: 88 Pioneering
    66Mustang said:
    I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread where people can just share what they have been doing during the current day and maybe it will give others some ideas as to what to do to fill their day...especially now as boredom is common at the moment!

I have:
    Done some studying
    Read and posted on a few forums
    Played World of Warcraft
    Been for a drive

Hi 66Mustang; Which forums do you post on if you don't mind me asking?
    Hi @csno01

I post on the official WoW and RuneScape forums as I play those games.

Also RolexForums - not as snobby as it sounds, don’t have to be into Rolex, it’s just a forum for people who like watches (I know a bit sad haha)

And also PistonHeads - I read it everyday but rarely post as people can get a bit nasty on there
    Today I made the mistake of taking a shower for the first time in a week. Because I had to remove the strapping I use to allow me to walk and put it back on again my neck, shoulders and arms (when my arms work at all) cause so much pain I cannot use my bed to sleep and my recliner chair is still broken, Add this to the leg pain that makes me a cripple and Social Care refuse to arrange any help I have 3 choices.

1. Die of starvation.
    2. Die of dehydration.
    3. Speed the process myself to go painlessly.

Great day, huh?

TK
    Apologies for my last post, I got off light. It only took a couple of hours before my arms worked enough to function and I did get some sleep. Pain is just about bearable now but by the end of the day..........

Again, I'm sorry for such a down post.

TK
    Hi @Topkitten

I saw you made this post in the early hours of this morning, I really hope you managed to get some rest and sleep afterwards.  It sounds like you are in a lot of pain to say the least and that must be really hard to cope with on a daily basis.  So from me, well done on persevering, you should pat yourself on the back (gently) <3 

Your words do give me cause for concern though and I want you to stay safe.  I might sound like I am repeating advice you have heard before but it is important that if you ever feel like you are going to act on your suicidal thoughts you call 999 and ask for an ambulance immediately.  Also, the Samaritans are available 24/7 for someone to speak to on 116 123 or you can text SHOUT to 85258 and a crisis volunteer will ring you back to offer you support.  

Meanwhile us at Scope are always here for someone to talk to.  We would be happy to make a social care referral on your behalf if that would be something you'd like us to do.  Also, it might be worth you pursuing making a complaint about your care as it sounds like you are really being let down by those who should be helping you.  

I am here most of the day if you want to chat.  How are you feeling now?

Still low but alive, which is a good thing for everyone but me I guess. I simply cannot cope and no matter how many times I get referred to Social Care they still ignore me. My GP has only 2 answers to my requests either "I can't do that" or "I don't know how to do that". They won't even spend the time to investigate'

I need to change GP surgeries but I cannot do that if I conform to the "housebound" situation. I can go and do it if I both have help with my wheelchair and if I take what the doctors describe as an "overdose" even though I know it would be perfectly safe for me. How a new surgery would view that I do not know but unless I do it I won't get any help. Unfortunately I have no one to help me get there. I've put a comment saying so on FB but not even my kids have replied.

Another day in purgatory ahead.

TK
    Sry, apologies again for lowering the level of what was supposed to be an uplifting post'

TK
    edited August 9
    No need to apologise, you are human and going through a tough time.  It's good to express how you are feeling.  

Maybe it's worth enquiring about changing GP's, you could try calling a new doctor to enquire and explain your circumstances.  They have a duty to be able to meet a diverse range of needs.  Many GP's are conducting telephone appointments now due to coronavirus too, so unless you need to be seen in-person, that's an option?  

Do you have any hobbies or interests that are good for improving your mood? 

Hey everyone, just wanted to check in. :)

After work I hope to finish the audio book that I'm listening to. 
    Community Partner
    Scope
    @Topkitten sorry that you’ve been struggling. Sorry I can’t offer any advice or suggestions (that you wouldn’t have thought of already) but I feel a lot of sympathy reading your posts although I know that doesn’t help.

I’ve been finding life very difficult recently too, every day is a battle and I spend hours each day solely dealing with my issues. It seems my life revolves around adapting to everyone else, but everyone else will say they are adapting to me, seems like a lose-lose. Not really sure what the benefit of me being here is sometimes.

Not keen on the disability top trumps but sounds like things are harder for you than me so maybe I need to stop feeling sorry for myself.

IME the trick is to just try doing things you enjoy - even if you can’t appreciate them to the fullest due to your problems it is still worth doing them to get a little out of them. Also, taking the days one at a time. 

@Chloe_Scope What audio book are you listening to?

Today I drove to the shops and have been playing on my computer. I slept from about 2.30pm until now so avoided some of the heat (I am on some new medication which causes tiredness).
    Ty @66Mustang but to each of us what we suffer is the worst simply because it's happening to ourselves. I am sure that, to you, it's the worst ever. For me trying to shower is causing awful problems and this weekend past I tried being more constructive. I called 111 because of pain and usability issues and they arranged an ambulance. They wanted me to go to A&E so I agreed, and then the bottom of the world dropped out. They checked my BP and then, in record time, a doctor came to see me. He started asking me questions but every time I tried to answer he interrupted me and said I wasn't answering his questions. After 10-15 minutes of this I started getting very annoyed with him and then he said (and I find this incredible) that he remembered me being in A&E 5 or 6 weeks ago. Considering how busy our A&E always is I must have really upset the guy. The only thing I might connect to him was a doctor treating me the same way once before. He upset me so much I just walked out of A&E. When the nurses asked me why I said it was because of some arrogant idiot doctor that wouldn't let me explain anything. This guy was probably the same one and after a short time I asked him if he was the arrogant idiot that treated me badly before and then trailed me across the hospital trying to apologize and get me back to A&E because I made him look bad. It was the same idiot, determined to do it again. So I immediately told him to go away and asked a nurse to get me to a phone so I could call a taxi to go home (even though i am terrified of taxi's unless I have been driven into Paranoia). A lovely nurse tried to calm me down but I said it was too late, now I was Paranoid I couldn't stay. Then ofc the idiot came back remonstrating and arguing with me trying to say it was my fault and I was being stupid. I ignored and blanked him and talked nicely to the nurse and they quickly arranged transport to get me home. Considering how much I suffer going to A&E and how quickly I left I am surprised that I didn't try to do anything daft but I have been suffering badly today so tonight is going to be tough.

Anyway, I hope things go better for you.

TK
  • male45male45 Member Posts: 131 Pioneering
    hi great thread.
    Today I took all kitchen cupboard doors off. Sanded them down.using an electric orbital sander.
    Then began putting sticky fablon over them to give them a new look.
    Because of having a dig and cat I have had to stop and start to feed them walk the dog and feed myself. Then carried on woth some more doora.
    I've eventually finished and re hung them.
    They look really well. The design is a  grey marble effect.
    Now tomorrow  I rest. I hope.
    Best Wishes 
    @Topkitten fair points - I agree.

I’m really sorry to hear about your experience...I know exactly what it’s like to get unhelpful medical professionals, I’ve had my fair share and learnt that when you get someone good you have to keep hold of them as hard as you can.

I think what a lot of medical staff don’t realise is that, yes they are the expert in general medicine, but each individual patient is the expert in their own situation. You can’t treat everyone by what it says in a book as we aren’t all standard patients!

I hope you get an OK night tonight.

@male45 Sounds really good. Any pictures?
    @Topkitten I am sorry to hear about your experience at the A&E.  Well done for going in the first place considering your previous difficulties and I hope you managed to get some rest afterwards.  

Sounds like you did a grand job there @male45 and what are you up to today @66Mustang?  Anything good?

I spent my day off yesterday doing university work and then nipped out for a bite to eat.  It was very warm but thankfully today seems a little cooler, aaah!

@Cher_Scope I’ve been for a walk today and then went out for a drive in the countryside. What about you?
    Yesterday I received a call from the Care Agency that is supposed to be helping me. She still doesn't seem to understand what care is required and when, couldn't understand anything I said and ended the call saying she would contact Social Care (I think).

Today got a call from Social Care, evidently the woman told them they had been sending carers since the 15th. I told him no one had ever turned up. He said he would chase it and also contact my surgery to try to help with them and contact ?Peabody?, something to do with moving or helping me deal with the Council or something like that.

I don't really believe any of them because they have said similar things before and nothing has happened.

A woman did ring from a different Social Care group and is supposed to be calling round to see me on the 19th..... we shall see.

As usual not eaten, drunk lots of cold drink and a few coffees. Other than that not much.

TK
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Administrator Posts: 197 Pioneering
    I'm sorry to hear you've still been having problems with Social Care and the care agency @Topkitten. It must all be very frustrating. 

It's understandable that you're sceptical about them chasing up the care agency, and about getting a visit on the 19th, but I really hope that it works out this time. Please do keep us updated with how it all goes! 

It's so hot, isn't it? I've been drinking cold water like there's no tomorrow. Do you like an iced coffee? I always try and make my own when there's warm weather, to varying levels of success!

Are you up to anything nice today? 
    Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
    Not really up to much, too hot to get comfortable.

Heard from the Social Worker (if he actually is one) he seems amazed that no care has been round as he was told they had. He is going to follow it up (he says) and in the meantime try to get another company involved. I wont hold my breath though.

TK
    I struggled in the heat last night too @Topkitten

I'm glad you heard from your social worker and he is chasing up your care.  I hope you have a lovely Thursday, thankfully it's a bit cooler for us today.

I hope today is a bit easier @Topkitten. The warmer weather can be really unbearable!

Yesterday, my day off, I made a red lentil dahl. I've put the recipe on the community if anyone is interested. :)
    Community Partner
    Scope
    Hmm what to do today. We have thunderstorms so can’t really do much outside!
    Tch, thunderstorms ....and I was going to fly a kite today too
     🚣‍♂️
    @66Mustang just for you...mind you the kitchen is an ongoing affair..decorators in at the moment scraping walls and whatever they're doing. I let them carry on with it and stay out of their way.
    So pics of the cupboards for you
    Casper my cat watches over everything.  Walls need some filling and covibg is up gaps to be filled though.
    Previous  residents disnt paint clean or do anything...we are doing room by room slowly
    Best Wishes 
    leeCal said:
    Tch, thunderstorms ....and I was going to fly a kite today too
     🚣‍♂️
    I love thunderstorms..havent heard any here in Belfast but fingers crossed. 
    Havent flown a kite in ages...too old now...or am I lol
    Best Wishes 
    Just another day of the same as always. I must be losing it though, I thought yesterday was Tuesday all day.

TK
    @male45 Thanks for sharing the pictures, the cupboards are looking really good :) I like your cat as well :p
    @male45 You look busy decorating.  I liked the guest appearance from Casper too :)

@Cher_Scope
    Yes been watching or should I say being foreman lol.casper always makes a guest appearance...just to make sure things are done right lol
    The blwck mat is is Good Boy mat. Which ever corner of it hes on tells me what he needs
    He has me well trained 😉 
    Best wishes
    Best Wishes 
    66Mustang said:
    @male45 Thanks for sharing the pictures, the cupboards are looking really good :) I like your cat as well :p
    Thank you 66Mustang
    I have to admit my daughter in law did the cupboards..and casper looked on..dont know whatbid do wothout him. 
    Best Wishes 
Sign in or join us to comment.