Diet and nutrition
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

Does anyone have any tips on how to lose weight?

Jordan_90Jordan_90 Member Posts: 83 Courageous
edited August 13 in Diet and nutrition
Don't know if this is okay to discuss on here so please let me know if this post is unacceptable 

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to lose weight? 

Replies

• Jordan_90Jordan_90 Member Posts: 83 Courageous
    edited August 12
    Don't know if this is okay to discuss on here so please let me know if this post is unacceptable 

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to lose weight? 
  • steve51steve51 Community champion Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jordan_90

Good Evening & Welcome.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Yes we have got a thread here on “Diet & Nutrition”

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/70478/weight-loss-thread

Please let let me know if you have any problems??

@steve51
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Administrator Posts: 1,277 Pioneering
    Hello and welcome to the community @Jordan_90! As @steve51 pointed out, you might like to take a look at the Diet and Nutrition category of the site. I've moved your post there so that our other members will be able to spot your post more easily.

Would you like to tell us a little bit more about yourself? How has your day been?
    Online Community Coordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
    Thanks so and what would you like to know 
    Hi @Tori_Scope

Many thanks for your help 😎😎

@steve51
    edited August 12
    Hi @Jordan_90

No problem. I wasn't able to move it for some reason, so I've made a new post for you, which you can find here.

Anything you feel comfortable sharing! Some of our members might find it helpful to know what your experience of disability is, or what you enjoy doing in your free time. This is a space for you to talk about whatever you'd like to talk about. There's no obligation to talk about anything else, so if you just want weight loss tips that's also fine :)

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
    I'm an open book really. I am 29 years old with cerebral palsy and use a wheelchair 

Living life to the full hasn't been an easy journey. I am worried I will be too depressing 
  • emmarenshawemmarenshaw Community champion Posts: 665 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @Jordan_90
    Hi and thank you 
    In that case, I'd also like to direct you towards the Cerebral Palsy category here on the community. The wonderful @Richard_Scope is running a welcome cafe with CP Sport on Monday, so perhaps that's something you'd be interested in? 

Don't worry about being 'depressing' by sharing your story. Many of our members find life difficult at times in a number of different ways, and we're all here to support you where we can. Feel free to vent or ask for advice and support whenever you need it :)

• emmarenshawemmarenshaw Community champion Posts: 665 Pioneering
    @Jordan_90 No problem at all. I’m going to tag @Richard_Scope Scope’s CP advisor to see if he can give you anymore advice.  But know that you are not alone and that the Scope team is here if you ever need their support.
    Hi @Jordan_90

Please please come back to me if you are feeling “Worried & Depressed”

@steve51
    Thank you so much. Well I don't have a close relationship with anyone at all!! In my spare time I penpal, play computer games and games on my Nintendo switch and phone. I am always watching series or programs on Netflix and I have recently got into anime. I am involved with different art groups and a theatre group and let's not forget the scope cafe with cp sport haha. I attend a knitting group but of course these have all stopped due to the coronavirus 
    @Tori_Scope I am already involved with the cafe 
    Hi @Jordan_90

That sounds great it’s always better to keep yourself busy.

@steve51
    It's difficult with the outbreak of the coronavirus 
    edited August 12
    Wow it seems as though you have a lot of hobbies @Jordan_90 , which is really great! Yes, it's unfortunate that a lot of activities have had to stop due to Coronavirus. I guess you've still been able to play on your Switch and write to your penpal/s though? What games do you like to play? I never got into anime, but it seems likely that some of our other members also enjoy it.

I'm sorry to hear that you don't feel as though you have a close relationship with anyone at the moment. Have you been able to make any friends through the clubs you do? Putting yourself out there is probably the most important, but daunting, step you can take in forming close relationships with people, and it sounds like you've been able to take that step, which is good.

I'm glad to hear you're already involved in the cafe! Did you enjoy it?

Yes pesky Coronavirus has made things a lot more tricky. Thank goodness for online communities, eh? :D

Not as such as I don't speak to them outside of group. The games I play vary but it is usually crash pokemon or mario

No my first session was 3rd August. 
    @Tori_Scope. Definitely thank goodness for online communities 
    Hi @Jordan_90

Yes it’s been a very strange time the last few months with the outbreak of Covid 19.

We will all need to get used to the “New Norm”

@steve51

@steve51 We do certainly have to get used to the "new norm" 
    Hmm yeah it can be difficult to take the leap into progressing those friendships to the next level. Have they been running any virtual sessions over lockdown? Perhaps this is something you could suggest to the organisers of the groups. Or you could ask if they'd be willing to set up a group chat so that you can all stay in touch until the sessions can resume? Maybe people could send pictures of the knitting projects they've been working on over lockdown, for example. You're also welcome to chat about that kind of thing in the Coffee Lounge, particularly on KaleidoScope.

Sorry, your first session of what? The cafe?

• woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 1,363 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jordan_90 how are you this (warm)evening? I always find it best not to stop eating anything but to eat less of everything, some gentle exercise helps, if possible and between meals if you feel hungry then maybe some fruit or a fat free yoghurt?
    @Tori_Scope my art and theatre group do online sessions and yes my first session of the cafe was on 3rd August
    Hi @Jordan_90

Yes it’s very very scary my friend.👻

@steve51
    Have you been taking part in the online sessions @Jordan_90?

Ah right, I see. Do you think you'll join again on Monday?

@woodbine I don't eat a lot though. I have at most two meals a day  and I am sweating buckets on this warm evening 
    Yes if I remember and some of them 
    Great!

Well I'd definitely encourage you to attend the online classes if you can, and suggest some form of group chat if you can muster up the courage. We're all here for you either way. I hope you find some useful information on weight loss :)

Thanks so much 
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 1,363 Disability Gamechanger
    It depends then how much weight you are hoping to lose @Jordan_90 and remember in this very hot weather to drink plenty of liquids.
    @woodbine dont worry I am drinking plenty of fluids
    Hi @Jordan_90

Yes I do hope that you find some useful info with regards to “Weight Loss” on here???

Please let me know if you want me to do some further research on the internet???

@steve51

edited August 12
    @steve51 Okay. The reason I ask on here is because I researched it on Google and it seems that the exercises that get your heart rate up I am unable to do 
    Hi @Jordan_90

No probs.

Yes the general population that have no underlying problems can cope okay with those no problems.

Do you want me to have a good look 👀 around here to see if there’s anything on here for you?????

@steve51
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 2,201 Pioneering
    Once I walked approximately three miles a day at a brisk pace for around five months and lost three stone. I stopped due to bad weather and didn’t start again and over the next six months or so I put that weight back on again. It wasn’t through overeating, it was caused by the medication I was on. I had to put up with the fact that I was going to be overweight because I needed the medication and so I ate a little less and did a little more exercise. I’m still overweight ☹️ But at least I know why.
    edited August 12
    @leeCal I'm so sorry to hear that you have to put up with it but it is great you tried!! Don't be so hard on yourself 
    @steve51 If you could it would be greatly appreciated but please don't go out your way 
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Administrator Posts: 1,336 Pioneering
    Hi @Jordan_90

The NHS have a weight loss program with a plan that you can download here > https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/start-the-nhs-weight-loss-plan/ This is designed so you lose weight safely and don't end up hungry all the time!

I personally find, like @leeCal, that walking regularly helps me lose a few pounds.  I did it a lot during lockdown and want to get back into the habit.  It's brilliant for mental health too and its good exploring and finding new places in your local area!  Well done you for deciding to do something about your weight :)

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
    Hi @Jordan_90

No probs, I will start having a look & I will keep you posted.

@steve51
    @steve51 thank you so much 
    Hi @Jordan_90

Just found one for you.

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/healthy-living/chair-exercises-and-limited-mobility-fitness.htm

Please let me know if it’s any good?????

I can carry on looking for you if you need?

@steve51  
    I second the article that @steve51 has sent @Jordan_90! I helped run some chair-based yoga, tai chi, dance, and aerobics sessions last year and everyone seemed to really enjoy them :) 

Awesome thanks 
    Hi @Tori_Scope @Jordan_90

Yes I have done Yoga & Tia Chi & I used go swimming once a week when I was a client at “Headway”

But as my health deteriorated these all came to a grinding halt. 

“Shame”

@steve51
  • TopkittenTopkitten Member Posts: 1,261 Pioneering
    The simple way to lose weight is to just eat and drink less. Almost everybody in this country eats too much and drinks too much alcohol and it is why we are being overrun with Diabetes and even some Cancer's are related to weight. Dieting is useless because people lose the weight then go back to what they did before and put it back on. It has to be a life change. Another point is that portions now are simply too large. In the last decade or two portion sizes have increased by 25% so just reduce them or don't eat it all.

Exercise is good for the body but doesn't contribute much to weight loss although it will help keep a person toned and looking better if they are losing weight as it tightens up muscles and turns fat into muscle. Remember though that if you stop exercising then the muscle goes to fat so it isn't something to cut down on after doing well.

Do not artificially cut things out (like meals) because you simply send the body into conservation mode and any benefit is offset by tiredness. Eating healthy can help but again it's benefit for weight loss is overrated. However, it's benefit for a healthy body can be immense.

I lost a lot of weight when I simply couldn't prepare meals properly or eat them before they got cold, so I ate less and didn't eat so much in between meals and over 6 or 7 years lost a massive amount of body fat. I don't now and never have eaten healthy food and I can barely walk and have taken 20+ tablets a day for more years than I can remember so eating and drinking less really does work but it MUST be a permanent change. It is very easy to use such things as an excuse when really it's just hard to not eat and drink so much. Try not to make excuses because it only makes losing weight harder. Be honest with yourself about it.

Always remember though, eating with others will tend to encourage you to eat more to be social and often people will ask if you are ok if you keep leaving stuff on the plate. You have to be strong and ignore such comments or make a joke out of it or maybe poke fun back.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
    edited August 13
    That is a shame @steve51 :( Have you been able to pick up anything new? 

You're right about not cutting out meals @Topkitten, and that consistency is key!

• dowhatyoucantdowhatyoucant Member Posts: 13 Courageous
    Hi @Jordan_90 I saw your post and wanted to just add a few tidbits here...

Cutting out meals is actually a perfectly safe way to reduce caloric intake (which is how weight it lost). Going off the example of 3 meals a day, cutting out either breakfast or dinner at first (which takes time and usually starts with reducing the meal's size and a few weeks later completely removing it) is perfectly healthy and actually the only way to tap into our body's self-cleaning function called "autophagy" - great thing to learn about if you wanna read up on. But after seeing success and training your body to go those extra few hours a day without food you'll eventually be able (if you want to accelerate progress) to remove a second meal a day (or at least reduce its size) IF you want to. I don't recommend eating anything less than 1 meal a day, but it is in fact possible and perfectly healthy when you've allowed your body to adjust to going longer without food.

Exercise, while true that you won't burn "that" many calories from a workout, is still critical to maintaining a normal metabolism, but even more critical to maintain basic human health. Here in the States I go by the American College of Sports Medicine's most recent physical activity guidelines for adults that reports persons of nearly every age need 75-150 minutes of cardiovascular exercise a week, 2-3 days of resistance training for each major muscle group, 2-3 days of flexibility work, and 2-3 days of neuromotor training (agility, balance, etc.) each week. These obviously require doing some/all on the same days of the week, but that's what research has shown to be the MINIMUM required activity just to MAINTAIN a healthy body. When you think about how few people actually meet these activity requirements, it becomes more apparent why so many people struggle with weight, especially when food landscapes facilitate over-consumption as others have mentioned here.

All that is to say, reduce caloric intake over time, increase activity over that same time, and you'll certainly see continued progress in the long-run (don't fret over a week or two of stalled progress, focus on the month-to-month at a rate of ~2-3kg/month).

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them! Best of luck
    Ben C.
    CSCS/CPT/SNS
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 20,498 Disability Gamechanger
    I wouldn't recommend skipping meals to lose weight... https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/ten-weight-loss-myths/

Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.