Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

THANK YOU- At Home Winter Wonderwheels challenge

WestHam06WestHam06 Community champion, Scope Volunteer Posts: 837 Pioneering
Hi all, 
          I hope that this finds everyone well. I would please like to thank everyone on Scope who have been so supportive, particularly in the past few months. When I first joined the Scope online community, I felt ashamed of my disability, that I had failed and that it was all my fault. For many years I didn't express the way I was feeling and bottled it up and this led to me not being the person I know that I am. Along with other factors, the Scope online community has helped and encouraged me to continue to open up more and to continue to seek professional help to enable me to do this. The online community, and Scope as a charity, are truly amazing and I would like to thank everyone who I have had the pleasure to meet virtually. I have had so many good conversations here on the community and to just share experiences with other who understand is both inspiring and thought provoking. Thank you. Also, I have to say I enjoy some of the banter,  brilliant :) 
As some of you know, I have had a couple of operations in recent months and my road to recovery will be long, particularly in terms of physio to build up my strength and to loosen what are now very tight muscles :) However, I want to try and raise some money for Scope, who continuously do a fantastic job of supporting people with disabilities and their families, whilst I do this. That is why I am participating in the At Home Winter Wonderwheels challenge to raise money for Scope. Between 5th November and 6th December I will complete 8 miles on my hand bike and hope to raise as much money as I can. 
Thank you for allowing me to be part of this wonderful community and thank you for taking the time to read this.  

Replies

• woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 1,600 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 26
    @WestHam06 well said, wish you well in your recovery as i'm sure every one of us does, and in your wonder challenge, will you have a "just giving" page for donations?
    Best wishes mate !
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 5,143 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck for the recovery and for the fund raising

Its great to have you on the community 
  • 66Mustang66Mustang Member Posts: 2,806 Disability Gamechanger
    I echo what has already been said and thank you for being on the community.

I think you should be really proud of what you have been through and am really pleased to hear that you think our little community had a positive influence on you.

Good on you for raising some money for Scope.
  • WestHam06WestHam06 Community champion, Scope Volunteer Posts: 837 Pioneering
    Hi @woodbine
                             Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words, I really appreciate them. I will be sure to keep this thread updated with my progress. Yes, I have a just giving page. Thank you
    Thank you @janer1967 for your kind and encouraging words, I greatly appreciate them. Thank you 
    Thank you @66Mustang for your kind and encouraging words, I greatly appreciate them and hope that I can raise some money for this fantastic charity :) Thank you. 
  • chiariedschiarieds Community champion Posts: 5,246 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @WestHam06 - It's great getting to know you a little here in the community, & I admire all that you set out to achieve, especially concerning raising awareness of disabilities in schoolchildren. With that & this challenge to raise money for Scope, I wish you well. For your recovery, I know you'll put in lots of hard work with your physios, & will be the perfect patient. :)
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Administrator Posts: 2,086 Pioneering
    edited October 27
    Awesome! Thanks @WestHam06, your valuable contributions to the community and fundraising efforts are both greatly appreciated :) We're wishing you all the very best with your challenge
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
    Hi @chiarieds
                            Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words, I greatly appriciate them.  It is great getting to know you as well and I feel very privilege to have virtually met many lovely people here on the community. Thank you as well for remembering my ambition to raise awareness of disabilities in schools, I feel as though I am making a little progress with this but I want to ensure I can give it my all so I want to make sure I have completely recovered :) I will try to be a good patient, I've only been told off once so far which is pretty good for me :) Thank you. 
    Hi @Tori_Scope
                               Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words and thank you for having me here on the community, it really means a lot and I appreciate it. 
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Administrator Posts: 1,842 Pioneering
    @WestHam06 Wowzers go you!!  <3 I'm looking forward to seeing your progress and think it's an amazingly kind and generous thing you are doing for Scope.  Thank you so much! 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
    Hi @Cher_Scope
                                 How are you? Firstly, thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words, I greatly appreciate them. Secondly, thank you for having me here on the community, I feel incredibly privilege to be part of it and I want to support Scope as much as I can.  I will be sure to keep you updated on my progress. The challenge starts next Thursday (5th November) so I am planning to get going then, so I'll let you how the first day goes. Thank you so much :) 
    @WestHam06 I'm grand thank you!  Make sure you keep us updated.  It's great to challenge yourself now and again, and to do this for Scope means a lot to us  <3

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
    Hi @Cher_Scope
                                 I'm pleased to hear that you are well. I absolutely agree with what you say about challenging yourself. If I may, please can I share story with you. A few years ago, my sibling was extremely poorly and it was touch and go at one point. Thankfully, they pulled through, however, as a result of this, they were diagnosed with a lifelong condition. This was devastating for both them and for our family. Having a lifelong condition myself, I wanted to show them that they could continue to live a positive and full life in a way in which they wanted too. I took part in a 4 mile wheelchair race for a charity which supports people with the condition my sibling has. When I arrived at the event, I was the only self-propelling wheelchair participant and there was one other wheelchair user who was being pushed. I thought this a little strange but didn't really think much too it. The course was so hilly and steep but I was determined to complete it. My fellow participants completed the challenge in 40 minutes, but it took me 2 hours and 40 minutes. I was determined to do it on my own, no matter how long it took. When I reached the end, they had to put up a make shift finishing line as the real one had been taken down. I was so tired and had no skin left on my thumbs but it was totally worth it just to challenge myself and raise money for a good cause. I look forward to this challenge. Thank you so much for your support and for reading this, thank you. 
    @WestHam06 What a motivational story, thank you for sharing it.  You sound like a very determined person and I have no doubt that you will conquer this next challenge in the same way <3

I hope your sibling is doing well, I'm sure they are proud of you.

Hi @Cher_Scope
                                  Thank you for your kind words. Yes my sibling is doing well thank you, it's never easier to have to adjust your life to a new way of living overnight but they have been so inspiring, I'm very fortunate and blessed to be able to be part of their life. They inspire me immensely. Thank you
    Hi all, 
             Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my post, I really do appreciate the support. The challenge starts on Thursday and I am looking forward to it, I will be sure to keep you updated but will also post my Justgiving page so you can see photos as the challenge progresses. Hope this is ok. Thank you for the ongoing support. 
    Hi all, 
              Hope you are all well. Today, I completed the first of eight miles on my hand bike for Scope. As it is part of the superhero challenge, I am completing the challenge as a superhero. My superhero name is 'Cagz' and my superpower is fairness. Please, if you would like to, if you were a superhero, what would your name be and what would you superpower be? 
    Please visit my Justgiving page if you would like to see photos and to keep up to date with my progress. www.justgiving.com/fundraising/phoebegibbons 
    Thank you for your ongoing support, it is much appreciated. 
    Hi @WestHam06. Very well done completing the first chunk :) I wish you the best of luck for the next leg of the journey.
    Also, that’s a good superhero power to have. I always wanted to say that my superpower would be justice as well. I’d be a warrior of righteousness :D
    Well done @WestHam06 - I hope you're feeling OK after the 8 miles! I'm with you & 66Mustang, as if I had a superpower it would be fair play, as that's all I'd hope for people. :)
    Thank you @66Mustang, I really appreciate your kind and encouraging words. I also really like your superpower, that is a fantastic one to have and I think the 'Warrior of Righteousness' is absolutely fantastic :) I'll keep you up to date with my progress, I am planning the next stage for tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes :) Thank you 
    Thank you @chiarieds, I wish I had the power and strength to do 8 miles a day but yesterday I only managed one. I'm hoping to do a mile every other day but we will just monitor how I'm coping and decide on the day, that's the beauty with this challenge I have until the 6th December to complete it. I really admire your superpower, it's brilliant, and I think if it is something you really believe in as you, I, @66Mustang and many others do then it is definitely something worth striving for :) Thank you 
    Hi all, 
             Hope everyone is ok. I just wanted to let you know, I completed another mile today. It was tough going but I got there. The next mile is planned for Monday. Thank you for your ongoing support, it is much appreciated. Thank you.
    Well done on completing your 2nd mile @WestHam06 - sorry I misread an earlier post! A quarter of the way there now. :)
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Administrator Posts: 1,292 Pioneering
    You're a star @WestHam06, you're doing amazingly :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Hi @chiarieds, thank you so much for the support and no worries, a quarter of way there is a great way to think about it, I hadn't thought of it like that, THANK YOU :) 

Hi @Ross_Scope, thank you so much for your support and encouragement, I really appreciate it :) Thank you

Thank you so much @66Mustang
    Hi all, 
              Please if I may, I would like to give you an update. I completed my third mile today, it was tough and I am very tired now but got there. My next mission is on Thursday. Thank you. 
    I’m glad you persevered and completed it. Really well done for getting the third mile done.
    Hi all, 
              Hope you are well. I just wanted to let you know that I am HALF WAY THERE! Thank you so much for your ongoing support, I really appreciate it. My next mission is on Sunday. Thank you
    Wowzers that's amazing progress @WestHam06 !! Good luck for Sunday <3

Well done for sticking with it @WestHam06, just the downhill slope to go now!!!!
    Thank you @Cher_Scope

Thank you @66Mustang really like your way of thinking about it, it made me smile :) Thank you
    Great news @WestHam06 - Yes, half way through; you are doing so well! :)
    Nice one @WestHam06

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
    Thank you @chiarieds, I really appreciate the support :) I hope that you are well. Thank you

Thank you @Tori_Scope, I really appreciate it :) I hope that you are well. Thank you
    Hi all, 
             Hope everyone is well. I just wanted to let you know that I completed my fifth mile today. The end is in sight :) My next mission is on Wednesday. Thank you
    You're smashing it @WestHam06! Well done. Now enjoy some well-earned rest.

Great going @WestHam06 - it's really good to read how well you're doing with this challenge..... next time 3/4 of the way through it! :)
    @WestHam06 Woahhh you are an absolute machine powering through this.  Well done!  <3

edited November 17
    Hi @Tori_Scope
                                Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words. Definitely  enjoying the rest days :) Thank you 

Hi @chiarieds
                            Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words, I really appreciate the way you view things, thinking of 3/4 the way through after tomorrow will help to keep me going :) Thank you

Hi @66Mustang
                               Thank you :) 

Hi @Cher_Scope
                                 Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words. I can't really take the credit it's all of the support I am receiving which is helping me to complete the challenge :)  Thank you
    Hi all, 
              Hope everyone is well. I just wanted to let you know that I completed my sixth mile today. Two more to go :) My next mission is planned for Friday and I look forward to it :) Thank you
    Fab! Great progress @WestHam06 :) 

Wishing you well for tomorrow @WestHam06 - already 3/4 of the way through.....not much more until you reach your goal. :)
    Thank you so much @Tori_Scope

Thank you so much @chiarieds, I really appreciate your ongoing support and it has definitely helped me to view it as already having completed 3/4 so thank you so much for sharing that idea with me :) Thank you
    Hi all, 
             Hope everyone is well. I just wanted to share that I've completed the seventh mile of my challenge today. My eighth and final mission will be on Sunday and I hope to be able to complete it and raise as much as I can for this worthy cause. Thank you so much for all of your ongoing support and for keeping up to date with my progress, I really do appreciate it. Thank you. 
    @WestHam06 You are our very own Wonder Woman!  Good luck for Sunday.  We are all very proud of you  <3

Thank you @Cher_Scope, that really means a lot. :) Thank you
    Thank you for letting us all know @WestHam06 - great news, & I look forward to reading about your complete success on Sunday. :)
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 5,143 Disability Gamechanger
    Well done keep up the good work for the final leg great achievement and you deserve a medal (gold,) 
    Thank you so much @chiarieds, I really appreciate it. I will be sure to share the events of the final mission with you :)  Thank you. 

Thank you so much @janer1967, I really appreciate the support. As part of the fundraising pack that I received from the organisers, there is a finishing line and a medal, though not a gold one :) I don't think I deserve the medal, I would like to share the medal with all of the people who have supported me, including all the amazing people here on the community who have supported me, thank you. 
    Well done and good luck for the final mile :)
    That's great news @WestHam06! I'll be thinking about you on Sunday

Hi all,   
              Hope everyone is well. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! The eight and final mile is now completed :)  Thank you so much for your ongoing support and encouragement, I really do appreciate it and it has helped me through when parts of the challenge were tough.  Thank you.
    gold balloons spelling out the word congrats

Well done @WestHam06 and thank you so much for raising money for Scope  <3   

Well done congratulations!!!!!!!!:smiley::smile::smiley::smile::smiley:
    Enormous congratulations @WestHam06 - we always knew you would succeed! I'm sure it was tough, but knew how much it mattered to you. Incredibly well done. :)
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,605 Scope community team
    Well done @WestHam06 and a massive congratulations to you - I hope you're having a well-deserved rest today!

the word congratulations is written with stars surrounding it
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Administrator Posts: 1,292 Pioneering
    Well done @WestHam06, you're a star :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Huge congratulations @WestHam06 :) 

Hi all, 
              Thank you so much! It really means a lot and I have been blown away by all of the support and generosity I have recieved. It's a team effort so thank you all for being part of it! 
    Definitely enjoying a rest today @Adrian_Scope :) though I have already started to think about what I could do for my next one next year :) Any suggestions welcome :) Thank you so much. P.S love the images @Cher_Scope and @Adrian_Scope, they made me smile, thank you so much.
Sign in or join us to comment.